Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody have a set of Joe Barden bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Jun 24, 2003.

1. I received a set of J-bass Bardens about eight years ago for Christmas from an old friend of Barden's. He apprently didn't make them long - eventually abandonded them in favor of the Tele pickups he's so well known for. They're side by side coils in a standard J Bass size. Lots of wiring possibilities, though the wires used are way delicate and I understand they're easy to upset if not installed just so,

Personally didn't think a whole lot of them - I felt some improved output on my stack pot Jazz but I missed the old fashioned out of phase sound from the stock p'ups nd put 'em back in. The bardens are in my china cabinet at home.

Anyone out there whose mileage varies?

2. Thanks for the info. I've been curious about the Barden J's for a while, since they got good reviews during the brief period they were being made. Never played any, though.

If you ever decide to sell them, I expect someone around here would pick them. Heck, I'd be interested myself just for curiosity's sake, if they're not "collector priced" like Lane Poors are these days.

Mike

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've got a set, talked about them a bit here.

The link

4. That's neat. Moo. Are those 1/2 + 1/2 side by side coils on yours? Or are they actually 3/5 + 2/5?

If someone wants to change over an MIM Jazz or something, I would probably let my set of Bardens go for sale/trade + cash) 'cos 1) I don't use 'em and 2) lately I miss my crummy little Dano Longhorn reissue, and I want another one. I've been hesitant to try and sell 'em since can't really give much in the way of guarantees, all I can say is that they worked last time they were in my bass. I also have a hacked up set of stock J-Bass covers which leave the bars exposed. Very cool looking, from a distance anyway. :cool:

Anyone's interested, E-Mail me at unidentifiedbassplayer@yahoo.com. If you're in the Wasington DC area, let me know- you can bring a soldering iron and a screwdriver and test 'em..

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, 2 strings for one coil 3 for the other.

I was worried that this imbalance in coil size would let some 60 cycle hum in and I think it does a tiny bit. But not enough to annoy me and I'm pretty picky.

They're really starting to grow on me tonally, a lot of old school vibe with a hint of modern edge but not too hi-hi.