Anybody have an ALIEN headless bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmbongo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I remember trying one of these Alien headless basses years ago when I was first starting out. I had a buddy who knew a guy who had it for sale and he let me take it home for a few days. I didn't buy it, but I still haven't forgotten that bass (this was probably 1990-ish?) I have no idea if these were crap or what since I knew hardly anything at the time, and it being headless is probably what scared me away from buying it. Just curious if anybody has one of these?

2. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    Can't be a 100 % sure, but I think I've seen a headless Hondo Alien bass on here - so Hondo is the brand and Alien the model. Is it JT who has one among his neglected 4-strings...? :p

3. Medium-II

Medium-II Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Hondo "ALIEN" bass was a knock-off of Kramer's "The Duke" headless bass.

4. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    P10121003.jpg

Here is mine ,i never play it when i did it had a light sound , but i have to admit it did cut through. The sound was closer to the Kramer " Duke " than anything else.

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    That's correct... except they had a wooden neck. :D

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep yep, that's is! Probably should have bought that thing....I bet I could have got it for $100 :)

7. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    I paid $220 for mine when they first came out , then i saw a few months ago one for sale at GC for $450 , i couldn't believe it :eek:

8. Years ago I had the use of one for a few days and found that, although it was sorta okay at first, the more I played it the less I liked it's sound.

9. shortbass

shortbass

Dec 18, 2009
    Mine serves me nicely,U recondition any of yours? need some new pots scared to use aftermarkets.Being a vintage guy.Iwant origs.I like the sensitivity between playing and plopping , would hate to lose the sensitivity Im at [email protected]

10. shortbass

shortbass

Dec 18, 2009
    :hyper:
    got mine for 75

11. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Try CTS pots or GFS pots, 500k.

They're marvelous, no tone lost, plenty of variation :).

12. shortbass

shortbass

Dec 18, 2009
    play it light crank your amp set your curve heavy around 60 hz b carfull:rolleyes:

13. shortbass

shortbass

Dec 18, 2009
    I TUNE MY 4STRING FRETLESS DOWN TO B. SOME NECK ADJUSTMENTS MAY B REQUIRED USE LIGHTEST STRINGS your diligents may be rewarded I"ll try those pots tell, quazimoto about that b thing

14. shortbass

shortbass

Dec 18, 2009
    Want to part with it [email protected]

15. shortbass

shortbass

Dec 18, 2009
    WANA PART WITH [email protected]

16. Nefilim71

Nefilim71

Dec 31, 2009
    South Australia
    I still have my Hondo Alien bass, somewhere, packed away. It was the first bass I ever bought in 1986 in England. I had it modified with an extra pick up nearer the neck, which gave it a better sound, but unfortunatly, chopped off the letter 'n' in the word Alien, but still, I liked it, and looks very 80's.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

heh yeah, that's me - it was my first bass too. i have one of these i defretted and then painted the neck and refined it with zar. lol.

jt4straln1.jpg

18. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    Are you sure about that? Mine which doesn't have the "Alien" decal but appears to be the same in all other respects has an aluminium neck, it doesn't have the ebanol fingerboard that the Kramer The Duke did but a more conventional rosewood one.

DSC01568.gif

DSC01571.gif

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    mine doesn't.

20. jags

jags

May 10, 2011
    Kona Hawaii
    I'm going to restart this thread with a few observations and a few questions. Hopefully some of you will get back with some answers.

I just picked up what I thought was a Kramer Duke. But there seems to be some things on this bass that don't match a Kramer Duke. So I'm thinking it may be a Hondo Alien.

First is that the aluminum piece at the head is mounted with 2 screws. The Dukes I have seen have only one screw.

Next the fretboard is rosewood and not the synthetic material the Dukes used.

Third my neck is aluminum with wood inserts on both sides like the Dukes. I have seen that some people say the Aliens had wood necks. Does anyone know if this is a fact? Maybe some had wood and others aluminum/wood? I can't see how any bass like this could use a wood neck without a truss rod. Any comments?

Fourth the metal neck mounting cover plate on the back has no markings. The Dukes seemed to have "The Duke" and "Kramer" engraved on them. Any one seen anything different?

Fifth the bridge on the Dukes came in 2 versions with the newer ones using a Schaller 3D-4 Bridge marked "Kramer". Mine has what looks like a Schaller 3D-4 but has no markings. Does anyone know if the Aliens used the Schaller 3D-4 bridges or did they use a copy?

Sixth, the pickup also looks like the Schaller used in the Dukes. Anyone know if this is the case or were they some other type of pickup? If so what are they?

Last my tuners are unmarked. The Dukes were supposed to have used Schallers and the photos I have seen show a "D" shape impression or shape to the back of the tuner. Mine have a round impression or shape on the back. Any clue to what tuners the Aliens used?

I hope some of you can get back to me so that I we can try to determine if what I have is a Duke or Alien and also answers to these question will make it easier for others to determine what they may have.

Thanks and hope to hear back from some of you soon!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021