Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody have an EB-O/3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Does anybody have an old one? or the new elite EB-3?
    How do they sound? are they as muddy as people say?? I want some first hand expirence.

Also! Can I see some pics of your EB-O/3?

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own a 1968 EB3 in original condition with covers. I really don't know why I've kept it this long other than the escalating value of the sixties basses, in general. I don't have access to pics right now but I'll post later if you really wanna see it.

I would not take it to a gig. It has two sounds, essentially. A huge, bottom-heavy thud with no upper range at all when you solo the massive neck p/u and a thin, unattractive sound from the small, bridge mini-humbucker. Everything else is pretty much in-between those two extremes. It's a short-scale, too with a baseball bat-like neck. And a bridge that allows no adjustment whatsoever for intonation. The only thing worse would be a Hofner like the one I was saddled with in High School. So, to sum up the EB3: lousy tone, poor playability, questionable intonation. Did I leave anything out? :p

Now, before the onslaught of ranting rebuttals, consider that my comments are purely subjective. Some people do actually like these basses. I honestly can't imagine why. But I recognize the fact that some of its qualities may appeal to some players. Mike Watt, for instance, seems to like using a modified EB, if I recall. And while Jack Bruce made the EB3 famous (more or less), he's stated several times that he did not really care for the bass but found that it suited his purposes at the time. He has subsequently played Warwicks for the last 20 or so years.

Be sure to play one through a rig you plan to use before even thinking about plunking down the coin for it. This should tell you whether or not it's for you.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    After about 1970 the bridge of the EB series became adjustable. The Epiphone reissues all have an adjustable bridge.

The pickups are the weakest link. The bass played unamplified can sound snappy and bright but the neck pickup removes not only the high end it also squashes the attack of the note...really awful for playing funk licks. The tone control is all but useless, you can't roll off treble when there isn't any :rolleyes:

Where these basses shine is when you want a fat wall of sludge tone, especially with some distortion (ala Jack Bruce or Felix Pappalardi). Really thick bottom is their forte; dub reggae, hip hop, etc. They are definitely not a utility bass.

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I love this bass.
    I played it at my music store. I might buy it but I still have alot of thinking to do when it comes to my G.A.S.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's mine. It can be yours...for enough green! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. My first bass was a 72 EB-0. I got it because of Jack Bruce. It's always sounded like garbage. I also bought a 68 EB-2 for some unknown reason. I don't know how much Cream stuff was actually done with the EB-3 or the EB-0, but from what I'm aware, Felix Papalairdi did record with the EB-0 and the EB-1 with Mountian (Mississippi Queen). Andy Fraser from Free also played an EB-3 on All Right Now.

It's not a modern sound, and make sure you play it through a lot of amps before you buy it. I *believe* mahogany is not a good wood for basses.