1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody have any experience with Phonic PA systems?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. How reliable and long-lasting are they? I need something for jamming and free gigs. I can deal with it not being clear but I wan't anything I buy to last 10 years.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i know absolutely nothing about this brand.

but they look (the various price points) a lot like other powered-mixer-speakers-on-sticks rigs.

which model/system are you considering?
    what do you mean by "clear?"

life cycle of 10 years = how you treat/handle your gear!

the rig at about $1049 looks 'competitive' re: specs and bells and whistles.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...8804543-sku^K55065000002000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    o_O what on earth does that word mean?

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have a little baby one that I use at home. Had it for a few years. Works great. I will find a link for it. We’ve used it for small outdoor acoustic gigs. Ran guitars and vox through it and it kept up with bass and drums. Brb.

Edit: this is what I have. Traded an old computer for it. Otherwise, I would have never bought it. Like I said, works fine for what it is.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...8804543-sku^630485000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Two-Spirit likes this.
  5. The ones I'm looking at are traditional cabinets with a head. Maybe;
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/phonic-powerpod-740-plus--s712-pa-package
    What else can clear mean but clear. Peavey has always been called Mississippi Mud, Mackie and Electro-Voice are supposed to be clear. SWR is clear. People want to hear their vocals unchanged. You'll know what clear means when you play and Crate guitar amp next to a Jazz Chorus.
    People buy Sony because they have beefy circuit boards and components. Not every piece of equipment lasts 10 years on its own. I know Peavey will last well over 10 years but I don't want to spend that much money.
    I'll be looking for a $400 head and cabinets either new or used. I wish I could get Mackie and Electro-Voice but the $400 is actually a splurge for me.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  6. I graduated high school 25 years ago and I'm not an English teacher. Sorry If I don't meet your mental requirements. :thumbsup:

7. Thanks, I might get one of the bigger ones.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sorry, but it wasn't clear to me.

all things being equal: the larger rigs should give you more 'clear'.

this is TB: there are no "mental requirements."

good luck! :thumbsup:

Two-Spirit likes this.
  9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    We have a Phonic 740 head in our jam barn. It's been there several years and probably gets used 5-6 times a week. It's had a rough life. Been hooked up to so many different vintage speakers at one time who knows how many ohms it's been run at, but has never failed. Channel A stopped working a couple of years ago but we get by with the other 6. As far as our gear goes it's in the 'can't kill it' category. Your experience may differ.
    Is it clear? Look, it's not going to sound QSC or even Electrovoice clear (which is what we use as mains for gigs), but certainly for practices and small gigs it's fine. I'm the singer in our band and I have no real complaints if I use a good mic. You can dial in a decent reverb with the effects. It will definitely keep up with drums and then some. I don't know about the speakers that come with the package, as we have only the head, but for $379 I doubt you would get much better. On the MF site it's probably the best deal in that price range for PA packages. Even the free mic is probably OK for backup vocals.
    Here's a video of our space with the Phonic 740 powering the vocals from a couple of years ago. You can see the Phonic on the table in front of the stage to the right of the stairs as the camera zooms closer. Virtually every speaker on the stage is somehow powered by it :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  10. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    The phonic PA head may be OK, but I would move over to some Yamaha passive speakers to use with it as a worthwhile upgrade for not a whole lot more money.