1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody have experience using an Ipad live?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Ron Johnson, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Hello, so I just got myself an ipad so that I could play synths with my foot controller. When I hook up the ipad through my interface to listen to it over the computer speakers, it is very quiet. I want to make sure I'm prepared when I start using this live. I'm worried it would have the same volume issue when plugged into a venue's PA mixer. Is there some sort of DI box I need for this, or do you just plug straight into the board? Thanks!

2. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    No personal experience but if you look at one of Living Colours rig Rundowns, not the latest one, on you tube, I am sure vernon is using something similar

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    You will need to run it into a DI box but most venues have those.

Are you using the iRig? And what synth app?

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    On volume: make sure the volume on your iPad is maxed. I'd also suggest carrying your own DI. (Whirlwind PCDI works well and offers useful features. Radial JPC is also good.)

knumbskull likes this.
  5. I use an iPad and a KMI 12 step with a radial stage bug D. I. Never a volume issue.

knumbskull likes this.
  6. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Not an irig, but I am using a KMI 12 step, Geoshred, and Garage band.

knumbskull likes this.
  7. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  8. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Good advice above. You should be covered as long as there's a clean signal coming through :)

On a side note, I've been eyeing up the 12-step for a while, it looks great. How do you like it?

9. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    It's alright, but definitely not worth the price, even used. I have regular sized feet and it is still difficult to hit one button at a time. Its pitch bend setting is useless since it gets all wobbly when you release it. It slides all over the floor no matter what surface. The firmware is buggy and disconnects and loses programmed patches often. The software for programming it is frustrating. It is not indestructible as advertised. It is not 'plug and play' as advertised. When you program chords to it, half the time only 2 or 3 of the 5 notes actually play. It is also not useful for an actual musical sound either as the pressure sensitivity gives it a hard attack no matter how gently you hit the buttons or how low you set the velocity sensitivity.
    I know, it sounds like I've only got bad things to say, but that is because I've spent so much on it and gone through so much frustration just to use it. It's a good concept but I'd wait until they become improved to get one. I suppose if you're just triggering samples or something it would be alright, but I am trying to play strings and synths with my performance like this.

knumbskull likes this.
  10. Do you have the "camera connection kit" which allows you to connect your interface via usb with your iPad? I wouldn't use the integrated analog out / headphone out of an iPad. But even if, I can't imagine that you have an issue with the volume unless you didn't lower the volume unintentional or have a wrong setting.

11. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, I got a knockoff one on ebay for 3 bucks. I use it to plug in my 12 step or my keyboard. Do you think the interface would work that way? I have a cheap M audio one for PC. I'm not sure that the drivers would install on the ipad. Plus if I used the USB port from the connection kit for an interface, then I wouldn't have a port to plug the 12 step into.

12. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Addition to my question: Has anybody owned an irig? Does it act like a direct box? If it does then I might as well get one of those.

13. Every interface that works with native drivers works with the iPad. My 12 years old Alesis interface works. Some cheap M-Audio interfaces are just copies of old Alesis Interfaces like the IO2.
    But you need to power it with a powered usb-hub if it doesn't have a power supply indenpendant from the USB port.
    Most newer interfaces have an independant power supply or run on batteries. You could use the other inputs of the usb-hub to connect the midi-keyboard etc.

14. Unlike RJ (above), I'm very satisfied with the 12-Step. I had some intermittent issues for awhile. After much frustration, and great support from KMI, it turned out to a dodgy USB cable (I ran one from KMI under my board to USB jack on the top, and another to the iPad). Go figure. No issues since. You can see the USB jacks in the top right corner of the board. It was clever but now I just use a single USB from KMI to iPad. The other one is connected to a USB charger built into the power strip underneath :)

IMG_3661.
    IMG_3666.

I do need to wear the right shoes - narrow ones. I have the KMI mounted on my board so no issue with it moving. I find the programming fairly easy to use but the interface could be better, for sure. I don't use pitch bend but have many other chord settings programmed. The 12-step has been stellar with SampleTank, Animoog and Sampl (for triggering samples vs synth).

And, I'll just iterate that the support I received from KMI while I was trying to work through the intermittent issues I was experiencing from the crap USB cable was stellar.

knumbskull likes this.
  15. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    thanks for the 12-Step reviews @Ron Johnson and @EASonBass

re: the iRig, thinking about it, I'm not sure if it would be of any benefit for outputting audio – basically it's a fancy cable connector that allows you to plug an instrument into the iPad/iPhone and also have a headphone out monitor. As you are only outputting audio then I don't see any need for it.

(FWIW for that purpose /\/\/\, it's a fine cheapo solution. apparently not pro audio quality but I've recorded plenty of demos using it & not noticed a problem.)

By the way, I just got one of these which allows you to power both the iPad and external devices at the same time, off just one plug:

16272-12970-Screen-Shot-2016-03-21-at-50409-PM-l.

... no external USB hub required. so far it works great with my Korg SQ-1 sequencer – that might be the trick if you are using the 12-Step off iPad power only?

not cheap but I have heard bad things about off-brand CCKs...

EASonBass likes this.
  16. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I grabbed a few of those (counterfeit of course) off ebay for about 2 bucks each. You do not need a usb hub for powering the 12 step because the 12 step has two usb ports. I found that if you plug one of the ports into a charger and another to the ipad, the 12 step will actually charge the ipad.

knumbskull likes this.
  17. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Ah, good to know.

Did you fix the volume issue?

18. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    After that review I hear some alarm bells ringing... I love technical gadgets to help with our performance -- but it really has to work. I need to focus on the music, not trying to fix stuff at the gig.

Thanks for the heads up!

19. Check out the iRig HD2, it's fairly new, and plugs in through the lightning port, which gets rid of the noise of the older units that used the headphone input. It also has dedicated headphone out (1/8"), and a 1/4" out that you could run to a DI to get it out properly. I've only had it a couple weeks but thus far, it's doing everything I've asked of it.

20. Blackaddr

Blackaddr Commercial User

Sep 2, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Blackaddr Audio
    I'm actually an enthusiast for using software digital modeling in live gigs. If you go for an iRig, make sure you get one with both MIDI IN and OUT. You need the MIDI OUT to program and control other devices, like modern foot controllers, external modelling boxes, etc.
    Another option is to get small audio interface. Something like a Presonus 22VSL or Scarlett 2i2/2i4 will work with an iPad but also work great with PC/Mac, and may be a little more rugged and more easily mountable in racks and on pedalboards for gigging.

*EDIT* One advantage of the iRig over others is no need to get a USB to Lightening adapter.

I've got an article on how I built my live (laptop based) gigging rig at the link in my signature.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017