1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody have experience with Ernie Ball Stainless Steel rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jwilson67, Aug 29, 2017.

1. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I don't see these talked about much on TB. I've used EB Nickels and Cobalts extensively and love both of them but I'm wondering how these compare tonally and tension-wise.

I remember these got really good marks on a bass string shootout in Bass Player Magazine in the 90's.

2. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    I can't even find a YouTube video with a demo of these.

3. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    And judging by the silence I'm going to assume there aren't many users! LOL LOL

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I have a friend whom I highly respect when it comes to tone. He's using them and swears by them. I too will check out a set.

jwilson67 likes this.
  5. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Buy a set. Make a demo video. Put it on YouTube. Be a real internet hero! :)

I'm pretty sure I've played these strings, but I have no particular memory of what they're like. It was back before I started paying attention to strings, and just bought whatever the guy at the store handed me.

Element Zero and jwilson67 like this.
  6. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    Reading reviews online (Amazon, MF, etc.) and they say the same thing - "Best strings I've ever used and won't use anything else". I'm gonna get a set as they're only $14 at BSO right now!

I remember the Bass Player review said something along the lines of "Huge, blossoming tone". Sounds good to me!

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    He and I both slap. He can get tones no one else can. I trust his opinion and I too will be hitting BSO LOL!!!

Spidey2112 and jwilson67 like this.
  8. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    They sound like incredible strings to me. I already like Nickel Slinkies and LOVE Cobalt rounds so I am very eager to try these. I just never think about it because the others are so abundantly available and for some weird reason these aren't.

9. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I used to use them 30 years ago. I always liked them. I believe the guage I used was 44-63-80-103 ??? I loved them back then. Especially on slapping the bass. For the past 15 years I have been using DR Hi Beam 40-60-80-100 because I like the feel and tension.

10. cool breeze

cool breeze

May 13, 2016
    I have them on my SUB bass and very pleased with their performance and price point. One complaint and I do believe it has to do with my setup I found the E string a bit boomy. I could have lived with it but by luck I located a Dunlop SuperBrite E string and solved that issue.

11. lpbfender

lpbfender

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    Just put them on my EBMM HH 5 for the first time and I really like them. A lot less hard on Your fingers then DR

12. I've used these a lot over the years. They're my string of choice, and have only ever been supplanted by a either balanced set from Kalium or the cobalts when I couldn't get my hands on the steelies.

I've been considering easing up on the SS's to lessen fretwear but they've got some serious balls, always seemed to stay brighter longer than nickels, and sounded gorgeous. For $14 that's a deal.

13. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm sold.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021