Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody have experience with Seymour Duncan soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, May 14, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Blech. Sorry to start this thread. I've been searching TB for info on these pickups, and I've yet to find any really useful comments.

Basically, if anybody has experience, please just give me your opinion on what kind of sound they give you. I'll probably have the SD 3-band pre.

I want clarity. Heavy bass is certainly nice, but what I really care about is clarity. I'm big on chords, and this bass will have doubled strings, so the chords will be doubled. So I can't have mud. At all. Nice high-end is a must (and, by nice, I mean, not just existant, but nice-sounding).

For "support" playing (root, groove - traditional bass role), I'd like some nice bass and cut. I don't want to sound thin, but CLEAR! Okay, I think I've said enough.

What are your thoughts on the predominant "flavor" of SD soapbars? Brief or long-winded is fine. Thanks.

2. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    My prescription for your taste:
    Lane Poors, EMG, or SD.

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    As far as I know, Lane Poor's not making pickups anymore. The EMG's I've tried have been a little on the thin side. I like Duncans (hence the thread), but haven't played any of their soapbars, just the classic jazzes, which I liked, but don't really give me the sound I'm after.

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL

5. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I certainly thank you for trying to help, but, what exactly are you trying to say by quoting that? I honestly want to know. I've looked at the tone chart at basslines.com, and the soapbars appear to be what I'm after, but any input is welcome (well, any less cryptic input ;) )

6. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    Seattle
    I have them in my Zon 5/2. I find that they are generally compressed sounding with a ton of top end and midrange along with good low mids. My zon is an odd ball of woods so I am sure that contributes to the very complex tone that it has. I hope that is atleast a little helpful.

Chris