1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody Have Experience With SPB-2 Hot P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bgavin, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Does anybody have experience with the Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot P-Bass pickups?

I'm curious about thump, and tone differences from stock, or compared to other pickups.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have one in an old Washburn. This bass has the pup about 5/8" closer to the bridge than a Fender, but it still gives good thump and fat mids. I've got Fender flats on this bass right now, and the SPB-2 really brings out the positive characteristics of these strings. The highs from the Hot are very "smooth" i.e., somewhat rolled-off.

In short, you get a solid, thick tone, without loss of definition.

3. Much obliged.

I'm thinking about either the Bill Lawrence P-46 or the SD Hot P for my MIM P-bass. Also thinking about stringing it as B-E-A-D with TI Jazz Flats.

I want the maximum thump I can get out of it. This is my first P-bass, but I'm thinking the MIM pickup might be a bit on the anemic side.

4. It is the best P-bass pickup i've ever heard.....fat as hell, punchy and loud, records well, and doesn't have the f---ing annoying highs of the quarterpound, which is dirty, agressive, loud with way too "scooped" an EQ.

5. Has anybody done a pull/push comparison between their old P and the SD Hot P on the same bass?

6. Hey bgavin,

My best buddy is a technician/luthier at a local shop. He put one in a '71 P-bass. I was hanging out there at the time. It sounded good before, but when we plugged it in with the Hot P it came alive. I owned an almost identical 71 and put an EMG in it and then a diMarzio. The Hot P sounded way better than either of them. I think it's the best P pickup I've ever heard! It still sounded like a P- bass but, how to say this,..... uh more like a P-bass. It was real thick, even across the strings, punchy, with just the right amount of aggressiveness in the upper mids. Loads of output, and loads of that naturally chorus-y P-Bass tone! If I buy another P-Bass, it will have one of those. I've ordered SJB-2's for my jazz on spec that they'll do the same thing for it. I also ordered the 5-String MM style pickup to go in my Stingray 5.....

7. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had a MIJ P that I tried the SPB-2, SPB-3, EMG-P, Antiquities, and Am. Std. pups in. Didn't exactly a/b them, but here are my impressions (in this particular bass):

SPB-2 was thick and well-defined, without the harsh top of the SPB-3

SPB-3 had deep lows, average mids, and harsh top - lots of output

EMG-P had absolutely thunderous lows, clean top without harshness, but just a tad nasal with flats.

Antiquities was noisy, and didn't have the lows I was looking for. Clean highs, though.

The American Standard/American Series pickup is more "balanced" than the others, IMO, but doesn't do what the SPB-2 does. Still, it's probably going to stay in my American Standard (I don't have that MIJ anymore).

The MIJ tended a bit toward muddiness, but the SPB-2 didn't encourage this, even with it's tone profile of fat lows and mids.

I'm working on a Franken-P, and it'll have either the SPB-2 or the EMG. Both are excellent.

For flatwounds, I'd recommend either the stock MIA pickup or the SPB-2.

Oh, and cool website BTW.

8. I figured there was somebody out there with real hands-on experience. Much obliged. The SPB-2 Hot P looks like the ticket for me also.

One of the guys on another board installed the Bill Lawrence P-46 and said he thought it to be very similar to the SPB-2, but couldn't compare. I got a quote back from BL about how he doesn't design his pickups to sound like anybody elses', and his is a balance between the old P single coil and early 60's J bass... I can't tell if that means it no longer sounds like a P or not, and I don't want to take the chance.

There's a used SPB-2 on eBay right now, but reserve is not met, and already above $30. I'll watch it for a few days, and probably wind up buying a new one from John Wymore (Black Rose Customs).

I intend on using the P with TI Jazz Flats, and want it to seriously thump and cut through a loud band.

Question: does anybody know why the split-P pickups are installed at that severe angle where they are high under the A-D strings, and low under the outside strings?

[ edit ]

Glad you like the web site. No advertising, no snooping, no cookies. I own the servers and keep all that stuff out there for the benefit of the community at large. Eventually I want to have a series of accurate MP3 of various string sounds, and pickup sounds for bass.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Several years ago, Bass Player popped the various Basslines in a 73 Precis and compared them with the original and against each other.

Long story, short, the Antiquity and the Hot P came out on top. They describled the Hot P as, "sweet, balanced, and ballsy." It scored 5 out of a possible 5 for Warmth and Sound, and 4's for Clarity, Output, and String Balance. String Balance was the only category where they rated the Antiquity higher.

Detail on the Hot P - "We heard more output, spunk, and more impact than we did from the Antiquity.....(its) dynamic presence brings a bass up front - notes project better and slapping styles cut...a fat-sounding pickup with the right amount of bite...isn't as super-loud as the name might imply...falls somewhere between mellow-vintage and scorching."

10. Yeah, I have a copy of that review. Too bad it wasn't nearly as comprehensive as their later J pickup shootout. I transcribed that one entirely and put all the data into my spreadsheet. The new one didn't have anything on P pickups. Too bad.

I've been waffling between the Hot P and the Bill Lawrence P-46, and favoring the Hot P. Reason is, I got a quote from BL who states he doesn't make his pickups to sound like anybody else's, and his sounds midway between the single coil P and an early 60's J.

The last damn thing I want in a P bass, is more of that nasal J tone. I'm probably reading way more into this than actually exists, but it bugs me anyway. I want to boost my MIM P up to maximum P tone, not a hybrid. I figure the MIM pickup is kind of anemic as a cost cutting measure, and to eliminate direct tone competition with the American made models. No sense in producing a model for a third of the price, if it has the same tone as the expensive model.

11. I ordered a Hot P SPB-2 from John Wymore at Black Rose Customs yesterday. It is shipping today, and I will install it after this Thursday's gig.

I'll leave the existing strings and bridge as-is to see if there is a noticeable difference. If I can get it to work correctly, I'll feed my SWR DI into my soundcard and record the Before and After sounds.

12. I added a bunch of SD and DiMarzio numbering info to the PICKUPS tab of my spread sheet. I tried to correlate the SD tone chart graphics with a 1 to 10 numbering scheme as used by DiMarzio. I think I got pretty close.

Bass-Mid-Treble numbers are:

SD Vintage P = 5-5-7 (1957 original split-p)
    SD Hot P = 7-5-5
    SQ Qtr Pound P = 8-5-6
    DiMarzio P = 7-7-5
    DiMarzio Split P = 8-5-6
    DiMarzio Will Power Middle = 8-8-5

It looks like the SD Quarter pound and DiMarzio Split P are similar. The Will Power Middle looks thicker than the SD Hot P, and with more output.

My SD Hot P is all ready to go into my MIM P as soon as the fancy white pearl pick guard arrives from an eBay seller. I'm hoping there is a big improvment.

13. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not sure if you guys are still watching this post, but I just got some SPB-2's into my P and I'm planning on posting clips soon.

My initial impression is that they are not very different then the stock pups.

I'll post a new thread soon with recordings of both the stock and SPB-2 pups.

14. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    I'd love to hear that recording if it's still around somewhere :p

15. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    The tone chart is good but the Will Power and Model P are actually brighter than the others with the exception of the Quarter Pound (on par). I liked the SPB2 but it's not as bright as Dimarzio which I favor. SPB2 has killer mids and good low end but the highs are a but rolled off.