Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody have experience with Taylor ABGs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mchildree, Jul 30, 2001.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Does anyone have any experiences or have owned a Taylor ABG? Were you ever able to compare it to a Tacoma ABG in any way? I'm considering a trade for the Taylor and would appreciate any information....

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I do have Taylor AB1 , she has a woody sound , very slim and fast neck, you can practice w/o amp, sound audible. The drawback is the size of the body which I think too big for my body size, and the gain is much lesser than my Rob Allen.
    I don't know Tacoma.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The two or three Taylor/Klein AB1s I've tried didn't impress me. For such a large body and such an (apparently) radical design, the acoustic sound is puny. Nicely made, though.

The Tacoma ABG doesn't have any bells and whistles, but it easily has more volume than the Taylor. Somewhat husky-voiced, due to the phosphor bronze strings. Size-wise, I'd say the Tacoma and Taylor are the same.

4. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I suggest looking at the Turner Reneseance. I have a five. I'ts got loads of gain, super upright(very upright for a guitar) and a very managable neck and slender body. Not at all like holding the big box like a Tacoma or Taylor. Still a very woody, upright sound.