Anybody have recommendations for a small bass amplifier that I wear on a strap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lordofthebass, Nov 30, 2021.

1. lordofthebass

lordofthebass

Nov 9, 2021
    I found out this morning that my band class is going to be in a memorial day parade. I play electric bass in band and I need a good way to amplify it while we're going down the street. I'm thinking something akin to a pignose, or just a small amplifier that I can wear on a strap or clip to my belt. any suggestions?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    You won't be heard with any amp that small. You will need some serious wattage to get over the din, even to hear yourself. The Roland Micro Cube RX might be enough but I wouldn't want to sling it over my shoulder with my bass for any period of time. I believe the Roland BA-330 has been noted as a good battery powered option but it would need wheels to be march-ready.

Funny, I took up bass so that I wouldn't need to march with my alto sax anymore.

ColdEye likes this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Phil Jones Double4 (under 9lbs.)with a battery. Get out your wallet!
    gugduj08r7p6ctd5rpj8ro4ao5d800lo.jpg

Murch, Rich48, ColdEye and 11 others like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Joyo makes a little 10w bass amp with built in strap buttons, the MA-10B. But it likely won't be loud enough. Great for a practice amp though.

BT3 likes this.
  5. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Check out the Blackstar mini amps. They are pretty decent for what they are. Great battery life, but it takes 6 AA batteries. They are little bigger than those mini marshall stacks. I doubt you would hear it going down the street with a band though.

6. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    You might as well just march, smile, play your parts, and go without an amp. No amp you could wear would be heard.

7. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Not to be snarky but reality is your best bet is to have someone rolling a SVT stack on a dolly, with a generator at the back of the band to supply electricity to it LOL.

I played in band (marching and symphonic) back in HS, since when did they add bass guitar to marching band?

Analogeezer

Killing Floor and Plectrum72 like this.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I remember seeing it in the 80s. The dolly pusher marched in sync with everyone else...It was hilarious!

viper4000 and ColdEye like this.
  9. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Pretty common these days to have a pit with marimbas, bass, timpani, or other non marchable instruments

el basso likes this.
  10. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    My college girlfriend couldn’t play an instrument, but was the amp pusher in her high school marching band. This would have been ‘74-‘78 in East Syracuse, NY.

Artman, elgecko and Neo1 like this.
  11. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    When I was a hs band director, we put the bass amp on a small wagon with a battery pack. Worked well but it wasn't cheap. Since you are working with a marching band, you need something with some punch. We used a Line6 single 15 combo and needed all it could putout. Best solution is to learn the tuba/sousaphone.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    get a micro amp with battery power and drag it around on a skateboard

13. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I once had to play the cymbals in a parade in this situation. Not my finest moment.

SoCal80s likes this.
  14. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Inland Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Your best bet would be to get a good wireless system, and have a powerful amp riding nearby on a float.

BrBss, squish, Lovep and 5 others like this.
  15. wireless connection to an amp on a truck or flatbed right behind you in the parade. Generator needed for power...or an inverter (some trucks have one built in).
    No battery powered amp will do the job in a parade setting.

16. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    woody-allen-take-the-money-and-run.gif

Rich48, ColdEye, Paco Leon and 22 others like this.
  17. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Inland Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I beat you by about three seconds.

18. my post arrived at the same time as the one that's now above it. Same solution too

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2022