Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody have this problem with Warwicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quallabone, Aug 2, 2003.

1. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    When I was looking for a new bass I tried out a number of Warwicks. I couldn't reach the 24th fret on any of these basses. Am I just a small handed pansy ass or do others have this same problem with the body design? I loved a couple of these basses and probably would have bought one if I could have reached all of the notes. I play trombone and that is the only instrument that I should be struggling to hit anything high.

Cheers...

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Funny you should mention that. I was at GC the other day looking for a used bass, and for fun I plugged in a Warwick and started playing away. Pretty much the 22nd-24th fret area on warwicks and very very difficult to get to. But I guess most bass players don't use those frets so it's no big deal (I use those frets though, so it is).

Oh well :cool:

3. Not being able to reach the 24'th fret isn't really a problem... you have that same note in multiple places on the fretboard. :D

Blame genetics.

As for me, the only problem I've encountered with my warwick (thumb BO 4 string) is that I can't put the damn thing down! :rolleyes:

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    It's all about the octaves sir. I would be fine if it was a 21-22 fret and I could reach it. The way it is now they're just screwing with my mind. I can see the frets, I can imagine what they sound like, I just can't play them.

5. Well, the thing about warwicks is they have fat necks. 'baseball bat necks' as I've heard, personally I like them, they don't do anything to or for my playing one way or the other, but if you have smaller hands, and still want those high notes, you could always have a luthier (or someone qualified) sand down the neck a bit... if it's possible.

Or you could just settle for an ibanez. :p

6. I'm able to get to the 24th fret ok on my streamer 5.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ditto for me on my thumb n/t 5.

8. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Weird... When I was at GC, I played a Warwick Thumb 4, and 5 NT, and could reach the 24th fret fine on, DG, and I think even A also. But what string were you trying to reach it on, and was it a BO or NT??

9. I personally really don't see how one could have a problem like this. I'm 16, I'm not full grown :p, I don't have hulking huge hands either, though they are a bit large, and I have no problem reaching the 24th on the E with my pinky... or any other finger for that matter.

This pic shows me molesting three strings on the 24th, and I'm getting plenty of clearance, I'm not gripping. My thumb is resting in one of the screwholes though...

10. They look better than they sound(IME) But it is a real shame, because everytime I see one, I want to buy one, but then I am reminded I don't like the tone. It really sucks:mad: :( :oops: :rolleyes:

11. :eek:

Care to elaborate? Because I love my thumbs tone! It's thick, well defined and all around tasty, IMO.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Never had that problem with Warwicks, and I own 4 of em.

13. By 'It really sucks' I meant the fact that they are so good looking, and the tone isn't up my ally, I didn't mean the tone sucked.

14. I got whatcha said, I'm just interested in your opinion as far as the tone goes... every person will hear it in their own way, for me it's right up my alley 'thick/sharp/tasty'. I just want to know what it sounds like to you. :)

15. The warwicks I played just sounded, kinda thin. I like a nice gritty full growly sound. Maybe it was just the strings that were on what ever ones I played.

16. Yea, the first warwick I played in gc was a corvette... I wasn't too impressed.

Then I played a thumb with a fresh set of d's on it and I was amazed!

I string mine with DR sunbeams, and it sounds nice.

17. I just checked my Warwicks to see if I could figure out why you were having a problem. I routinely get up there (to the 24th) without difficulty, but my Ws are neck-through. The only thing I can figure is that the heel of a bolt-on model might be posing a problem for you.

DR's seem to be a great match for Warwicks. I've strung all my Ws with them and routinely get compliments on the sound.

18. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Yah I played a couple of bolts... Might have to try an NT

19. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Jul 5, 2003
    I think that a lot of the time the Warwicks, or any bass with active electronics, will sound pretty bad at GC since they may not replace the batteries. Then again, that push/pull knob solves that problem.

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    On most, but not on my FNA... the push-pull is a bright contour.