Anybody have this score?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by genesis6891, Aug 14, 2003.

1. genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Hey I didn't know where to put this, I didn't put it in tabs cos it doesn't have to be a tab. I'm looking for a score for Slang, if possible, by Jaco. Any ideas?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, if you would accept a TAB then you should have put it in tabs, with emphasis you would prefer a score.

the "song" is less a song than a solo piece, He layers 3 tracks over eachother and starts soloing, When brian bromberg "covered" it, he took those three motifs, changed the rhythm a little, looped them, then started soloing, but what he said was totally different, and he used fretted and fretless basses, and slap bass and tapping, and all sorts of other things.

So, unless you really wanted to learn all of jaco's solo on that one, I'd suggest(if you have a looper) that you just learn those three motifs, and make your own slang :p
  3. genesis6891

May 29, 2003
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As WR said - it's not realy a fixed tune - it's just Jaco improvising - his 'solo slot' for the evening and it actually contains different tunes. So - like a favourite is to do a Jimi Hendrix tribute by turning on the distortion on his amp and going into "3rd Stone from theSun"!

He also includes things like "The Sound of Music" and "Alfie", the themes from the movie - quotes are a favourite trick of some Jazz musicians who change the key and play them in improvised solos - it can be tedious but Jaco always brings his own melodic concept to electric bass which was very new at the time - nobody played beautiful melodies on electric bass before Jaco really - grooves and funky lines yes, but melodies from "standard" tunes - not really!
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You know how Hal Loenard recently put out, what, 4 Jaco transcription books?

One of them does have a fairly decent representation of "Slang".
    Search for "Jaco"
    ...or "Slang"(I guess?).

It's in two of those books-
    A Potrait Of Jaco: The Solos Collection
    Jaco Pastorius: The Greatest Jazz-Fusion Bass Player
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - I've got it!!

It's in the book "A Portrait of Jaco - the Solos collection" by Sean Malone, as you say, published by Hal Leonard.

Very good transcription an explanation of what is going on - but I was just agreeing with WR and trying to point out that Jaco did many versions of Slang and it wasn't fixed "in stone" - it was just Jaco playing what he felt like at the time.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    get a tascam cd-gt1 and transcribe it your self - it's worth it ;)
  8. genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yup I knew it was just him having a good ol' wank on the bass (!) but it still sounds so good! I think I'll have a go at working out what he's playing by ear...I love exactly what he plays and would just love to work out more what's going on!
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Or wait 'til October.
    That's when Tascam puts out the CD BT-1.
    The "B" is for Bass.