Anybody heard of Bryan Beller?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by QueenOfBass, Oct 7, 2003.

1. I'm just wondering if anybody on this forum is a fan of Bryan Beller. He's got a solo album coming out that I got a chance to hear :D and it's freaking AWESOME. I was only vaguely familiar with him before, but now I'm totally psyched to get his CD for myself. Is anybody here a fan of his, too? Just wonderin'.

Oh, and for those of you who have no IDEA who he is, check out his site at Totally go check out the preview tracks. I think it rocks, but maybe I'm just biased because he's such a nice guy in person. :cool:

--Nan :bassist:
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    He is a former columnist for BP magazine as of earlier this year I think. Never heard his stuff though... thanks for the heads up! :cool:
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He used to play in Beer For of Mike Keneally's projects.

Beller & Keneally are 'out there' in a good way!
  4. Ack-shull-ly, I think he still plays in Keneally's band, but I didn't know it was called Beer For Dolphins? Where'd they come up with that, anyway?
  5. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I got hear some of the stuff he did with Frank Zappa it was very,very good.He has a great tone.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep, really like his stuff!! Great bassist!!

click on Bryan's stuff- there are mp3s of his new disc and things with Keneally/BFD.

Bryan is still playing with Mike, they are getting ready to do another Taylor Guitar clinic tour, catch it if you can.

Plus he's a really nice guy.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Interesting...a solo disc. I distinctly remember reading an article of his in Bass Player where he said that he has a real problem writing original music-he said he worked much better creating lines on top of someone's music. I guess he's gotten enough stuff compiled together for an album by now.
  9. Yeah, he kicks butt. Listen to his awesome groove and solo on Mike Keneally's "My Dilemma" for a great example of his playing. :bassist:
  10. dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Another great amazing bass line by Beller is on "Egg Zooming" off Sluggo by Beer for Dolphins.

Pity it is so hard to find their stuff. Most of the BFD catalog is out of print.

11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I feel bad that I have never heard his material. His articles in BP were usually good for a laugh, though. He's an excellent writer.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Great player with a sense of humor....good combo!
    I miss his articals in Bassplayer.....he was working for SWR, but I'm not sure about now.
    They actually used to go up to people and ask them to donate to the Beer For Dolphins fund...and it worked:D
  13. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a friend of Bryan's. I have had his solo album 'View' for about 6 weeks now. It is the single most brilliant bassist ablum since the release of Jaco Pastorius (the album). This thing is a monster and it's going to kick you in the ass.

Bryan still very much plays in the Mike Keneally Band. Mike & Bryan will be doing a Taylor acoustic guitar tour this fall on the east coast. I highly suggest going, it rules.

Buy Bryan's album. Really. It rules. And I'm not just saying that because I know the bastard. It really is extremely amazing.

And if you actually come here and read this Bry, I recorded my version of "Bear Divide" without overdubs, you wuss. ;) :D
  14. Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    His homepage is full of excellent soundclips. His tone is really a onetokillfor tone. Also check out drummer Nick D´virgilio (Spocks Beard, Kevin Gilbert ect.) soloalbum. I think it´s under the name NDV. Great drumming, great songs and really soulfull playing by Beller.

Definitely a upcomming bass hero of mine
  15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Great player, reminds me a lot of Jeff Berlin.