Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody heard of lotus basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbob03, Feb 1, 2005.

1. bassbob03

bassbob03

Jan 31, 2005
    i bought this bass in houston at a place called the guitar shop but i didnt ever go back
    ive never seen or heard of another one
    its a pretty good bass sounds good and and plays good but i have never seen another one anyone else got or heard of this bass
    it has a p-bass style body but the headstock is kinda pointy where on a fender it has the kinda bubble ball like thing :hyper:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No offense, but wrong forum bud... Maybe the moderator can move it for you...

3. bassbob03

bassbob03

Jan 31, 2005
  4. My highschool had a Lotus bass. Thing was built like a tank. It had the big machine tuners and string through body bridge with a nice sunburst, but I have a feeling it was just a cheapie. It didnt sound too great and the electronics stopped working after a while.

5. Man, my friend has one of those. It's a sunburst P copy, and it's heavy. The thing has this gigantic bridge, and a big, fat neck, the big machine tuners ^^ like he said. I actually don't think it sounds too bad. Had a nice thumpy sound to it. Last I heard, he was fixing one of the tuners because it broke off (I didn't ask how it happenned).

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My first bass was a Lotus, and I still have it. It is a symmetrical body design, and is made out of one (possibly two, glued together) piece of Mahogany. Yup, the neck and body are all one (possibly two) chunk(s) of wood. It is really a beautiful bass. It has brass inlays and a brass nut, and a brass bridge with through-body stringing (and brass ferrules). The electronics and tuners were pretty cruddy, though. Eventually, the neck warped pretty bad, too. But, a few years back, I wanted to get it back in servicable shape, so I had Shaller tuners and a split P Bart pickup installed, replaced the pots, had the neck straightened and got a fret job, and I must say that it plays and sounds really nice.

I have seen several other Lotus basses that did not seem to be made nearly as well, but I do still have a great fondness for my "first!"

Tom.