Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody heard of Luthier David Minnieweather????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steelpulz, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I was surfing the web for info on Rose of the Mountain wood, when I came across pictures of a 7-stringer made by David Minnieweather, anybody know anything about him and his basses? Here is a blurb from the web site.

"Exhibition-quality Quilted Maple top on a Hawaiian Koa body with Pau Ferro fingerboard, Bubinga neck, EMGCS and TW pick-ups, BQS system, Gotohs tuners, double truss rod. Dave is a long time builder who has perfected his art, as evidenced in the photos. Meticulous detail and exquisite craftsmanship are showcased by the flawless catalysed varnish finish. A one-of-a-kind instrument. djmbasses@hotmail.com"

Front full view

Headstock

Body Close-up

Back full view

2. Yeah, Dave is a member here. There are a couple threads that have his basses in them recently. Try a search. May be able to find them.

3. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I'll check it out.

4. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I played that very bass. Great sounding and plays like a dream. Dave's a nice guy too.

5. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I got to (finally) meet Dave at Rip City Rumble (an annual mostly Christian bass player gathering in Portland) last night and play one of his basses.

I came away very, very impressed. Build quality, construction details and overall vibe were similar to Carey Nordstrand's work. I would recommend checking out his work and will be keeping an eye on him.

Oh, and Dave is no slouch in the bass playing department either.

-Eric.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    REALLY nice guy! I got a great vibe from him. He had a 4 string at NAMM that was beautiful and played like a dream. Didn't get to plug it in, but I thought he had one of the nicest basses at the show, Just felt GOOD.
    If you are here , David, a big shout out!

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I checked out Davids bass at NAMM and I was highly impressed. I played his fretless 7 last year at NAMM, and wasn't amazed, but the fretted 4 that he brought this year was really smoking. It Played great, sounded great, and looked great. Plus, it had some kooky tricked out electronics in it: Neato radiused Bart pu's and some sort of preamp with switchable frequency points for bass, mid and treble. I think there were 2 points for Bass, and Treble, and 3 points for mids. It worked very well, and is a very versatile idea.

David is a great guy and his bass at NAMM was very memorable, which, for NAMM is saying alot!!

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    David's basses are as nice as the man himself. A truly genuine guy intersted in crafting amazing instruments. I've had the pleasure of playing a few of his basses a little over a year ago and if i had the cash, would surely own one now. get one of his basses now if you have the chance...before he becomes the next tobias...awesome instruments!!! truly!

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've played that NAMM bass several times and can say that is one VERY NICE bass. And it's quite stunning with detail to rival anything out there that I've tried.

The pickups and preamp are a special concoction that make this bass unique.

There is an association going on now that I'm not sure I can talk about but we may be seeing more of these basses available fairly soon. I understand a 5 and 6 string are in the works.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Does David have a website?

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This is the bass that was at the NAMM show.

http://www.jakekot.com/kotbass.htm

I think that the cut that is playing used this bass.

12. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    This is the same bass I saw the other night. Smoothest wenge neck I've ever played!

I wish he had brought the singlecut 7.

13. soul64basses

soul64basses

Mar 26, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Man,thanks for all the great compliments you guys are very COOL!(I almost missed this thread)It was a pleasure to meet all of you at NAMM this year and all of you at Rip City Rumble.
    I had a great time at both events and I hope to attend regularly every year.I must say though,with all the great response I've had,I'm looking at bringing several basses for
    next years NAMM with the new company Kot Basses and sharing a booth with Accugroove which should be very exciting.And for those curious about Kot Basses,it's a relationship that started many years ago with my good friend Jake Kot (an Artist/Luthier relationship).He's been very instrumental over the years with info mainly from a players stand point which has been very valuable.Also,he's had a great working relationship with Bill Conklin for over ten years,
    and Bill Bartolini for 20 years,and now Accugroove as an
    endorsee.And,his new CD that's soon to be released is awesome!I heard the first several cuts and it's smoking!so look for that as well.but this should be the start of something
    very good so stay tuned.Once again,thanks for the cool compliments!
    (as I get ready for NAMM next year :eek: )

14. soul64basses

soul64basses

Mar 26, 2004
    Portland, OR

www.jakekot.com click on Kot Basses.Thanks! :) DM

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...Rose of the Mountain wood? What is this? Sounds hot.

16. soul64basses

soul64basses

Mar 26, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Hi Govithoy,I don't think we post this wood on the site.but it sounds interesting. :smug:

17. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    This was my favorite bass at the show. There's no sound that you could not get out of it & the playability is perfect. (I'm ordering a fretted & fretless.) Plus, David is about the nicest guy (along with Jake Kot) that you would ever want to meet.

Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Cabinets

[​IMG]

18. soul64basses

soul64basses

Mar 26, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Man,It is great to hear from Mark at Accugroove.Great guy and great cabinets!It was a real treat to hear our Kot Bass running through an Accugroove cabinet the sound was KILLER!NAMM should be very fun next year at the Accugroove booth.Also,Were currently in the process of building 2 Kot basses for Mark and those that are curious can check them out in his area soon.Once again Guys,thanks for the cool words!I look forward to meeting you all at NAMM next year. :hyper: DM

19. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    What do I get first; a fretted or fretless? A 5 or a 6?

These are good problems to have! ;)

Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Cabinets

20. FunkyPDX

FunkyPDX

Apr 18, 2005
    Oh, my… This week I took delivery of my Jake Kot signature line bass built by the remarkable David Minnieweather.

The tone, the build quality, the striking beauty, the tone, the playability, the endless range of possible sounds, the tone, the punch, clarity, depth, and harmonic content are all just amazing! Did I mention the tone? It hurts…

CLICK HERE FOR THE PICTURES I TOOK

Can’t believe it’s mine. Thanks David. Thanks Jake.

At the risk of sounding like a sales pitch -- if you want one of these extraordinary basses, I suggest getting an order in soon before there is a 2-3 year wait!