Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody heard of Santana basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OmBot, Mar 8, 2006.

1. OmBot

OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi guys!

I've just found a guy on a norwegian internet-auction thats selling a rather cool-looking (IMO) jazz copy of a brand called Santana.
    When searching the net I can't find anything but references to Carlos Santana, and that aint helpin' me much!
    Theres a Cort-logo on the headstock, but I don't know if it's a sticker or something thats been there all along...
    It also has some strange-looking pickups on it (beeing a jazz I mean) :

[​IMG]

And the headstock:

[​IMG]

Anybody seen one of these before?
    Would it be a good purchase?

-Christian

2. That same bass was sold under the Electra name here in the states back in the mid 70's - part of the lawsuit era. I owned one and the pups are a dead giveaway.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This won't answer your question, but there's a running joke here in San Francisco that any used, beat-up bass you see for sale "used to belong to Santana's bass player." I can't really explain the joke (I don't want to libel the guy) but let's just say one of Santana's relatives went through a lot of basses, so there are a lot of cheap busted-up basses around here that might indeed have once belonged to Santana's bass player.

4. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    I have a Santana Acoustic Guitar. :)

5. OmBot

OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for the reply!

How does the pickups sound and how is the overall quality?
    I bet I can make myself a pretty good deal on that bass, its been for sale a while... let's say 150-200$... is it worth it?