Anybody heard of Santana basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OmBot, Mar 8, 2006.

1. OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi guys!

I've just found a guy on a norwegian internet-auction thats selling a rather cool-looking (IMO) jazz copy of a brand called Santana.
    When searching the net I can't find anything but references to Carlos Santana, and that aint helpin' me much!
    Theres a Cort-logo on the headstock, but I don't know if it's a sticker or something thats been there all along...
    It also has some strange-looking pickups on it (beeing a jazz I mean) :

And the headstock:

Anybody seen one of these before?
    Would it be a good purchase?

2. That same bass was sold under the Electra name here in the states back in the mid 70's - part of the lawsuit era. I owned one and the pups are a dead giveaway.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This won't answer your question, but there's a running joke here in San Francisco that any used, beat-up bass you see for sale "used to belong to Santana's bass player." I can't really explain the joke (I don't want to libel the guy) but let's just say one of Santana's relatives went through a lot of basses, so there are a lot of cheap busted-up basses around here that might indeed have once belonged to Santana's bass player.
  4. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    I have a Santana Acoustic Guitar. :)
  5. OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for the reply!

How does the pickups sound and how is the overall quality?
    I bet I can make myself a pretty good deal on that bass, its been for sale a while... let's say 150-200$... is it worth it?