1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody heard of the Albert Leon?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by evilmutantducks, May 18, 2011.

1. Last night I continued my search for a double bass by visiting this man's house who lives right near me here in Baltimore. He had three basses for me to look at. One of them was a 1/2 size bass that sounded alright but I wasn't really interested in. The other was a used Engelhardt, I think EM-1, that had a nice finish but still needed a little work. The E & D strings buzzed ever so slightly, and it needed a little dusting off in general haha. He was asking about $800 for that.

The most curious bass however, was an 'Albert Leon' bass that he showed me. I did some initial research, and couldn't find much of anything... I did find that there are some Romanian basses called 'Leon Aubert' so i figured that they were probably the same thing. However when I checked the bass out it did in fact say, 'Albert Leon' on the inside. Does anybody know anything about this kind of bass? It was in good condition, everything on the bass seemed in working order. He was asking $550 but I could have gotten him to go lower if I was actually looking to purchase that evening. Here is the Craigslist link...

Double Bass Albert Leon 3/4 Ex.

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My hunch is that "Albert Leon" exists only in the mind of some marketing guy at a factory in China, Korea or Romania. It's a shop bass - which doesn't mean it's a bad thing (for a cheap bass), just unlikely that any single person made it.

Louis

3. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Looks like a fat ply bass. Might have more volume than the Engelhardt.

4. I don't know anything about that brand, but it appears pretty nice and in good shape for that price.

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  6. I called those people Matt. Evidently these basses are much more popular in Utah, and they sell lots of them to schools in California. It is NOT the same as the Romanian 'Leon Aubert' basses though.

The ones that the discount orchestra website get are German made. Even so, the one that I looked at was called 'Albert Leon' so I don't know what the difference, if any is to 'Leon Albert'. Regardless though, it seems like a very good deal for $550. Considering I won't need to pay any money to have it set up and its in very good condition.