Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody here a Shinedown fan?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jul 27, 2004.

1. lately i've been getting into Shinedown...it started with the .45 song, then they sealed the deal with their "simple man" cover. anybody else a fan?
    is the cd worth buying?

Charlie

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I liked the .45 song the first few listens, but after getting beat to death with it by a local station, I change the station if it comes on. I never really cared for their cover of Simple Man.

Did you see them on Conan? They performed a decent version of .45 (the singer couldn't quite match his recording) except the backup vocals were prerecorded which I thought was kind of weak.

The playing wasn't that hard, somebody else in the band should of been able to sing backup vocals. Oh well.

3. yeah, thats what just made me think of them

yeah, his vocals weren't exactly the same, especially that time he screamed and the mic didn't even pick it up!

Charlie

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Are you serious, The simple man song was just butchered.

5. i had to give them points for trying :D
    i haven't heard a newer band like shinedown try to play stuff like that.

Charlie

6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    The band is good, the singer is a butthole. He seriously can't sing. He sounds good in the studio recordings, but everything i've heard live (acoustic .45, Fly From the Inside, Simple Man, and Conan) he just overdoes the singing and sounds plain bad.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    no other bands are marrying one of the Skynyrd memeber's daughters, either...

8. Shinedown......................I think ill pass, rather listen to My Morning Jacket or The Darkness or something. Shine down is too.......post grunge-nu metal for me, not into the whole Depressive music scene.

9. is he really?

Charlie

10. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    There are two songs that I currently despise above all others these days, and both were mentioned in the original post. Absolutely terrible. My opinion, of course, and it won't be a-changin'.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I think they sound pretty decent on the radio. I was I had caught that Conan broadcast... it would have been interesting to see the difference from studio to live playing. Kinda reminds me of Everlast... not a great singer anyway, but has anyone ever heard a live clip? He sounds like he's singing through a toaster oven.

12. i thought they sounded a little sterile on conan, but then again, every metal band i hear on an NBC late night show sounds sterile.

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i agree with everyone else. prerecorded back up vocals...really really really weak. i dont think their singer is that good. and their guitar players tone sounds to much like the dude from creed, i think his name was tremonti.... teh performace wasnt all that good and that song is played out man. in south FL, they play it in every set. what is the musical director thinking?

14. About the pre-recorded backup vocals.. this seems to be really commonplace these days among newer bands... I went to see Lacuna Coil last week and there were a lot of sequences in use, including backup vocals and backup keyboards... I saw the band Ra last year, same thing. IMO, if you can't do it live, you can't do it period, but those running things seem to have a different philosophy.