1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody here built a fEARful cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 4, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I want to go full-range in my amplification. Have any of you built a fEARful cabinet? How difficult was it? What did it cost you?

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I did and loved it. I built a 12/6/1 and it came to around $450. Can't wait to start my next one. Best money I've ever spent on my equipment

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Great! I have a nice Carvin 210 combo right now but I want to go full-range because I'm using amp modeling. I would end up keeping the Carvin BX500 head that's in the combo and selling off the attached cab to build a 12/6/1 myself. How much did yours end up weighing?

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I built a Fearful 1515/66 and I'd estimate I had around 8-900 bucks into it, which is what I got out of it. I got the parts cheaper than you can probably expect to these days.

Probably around 16-20 hours of work and I had a lumber yard / leland cut most of the wood.

5. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I have the Alpha mid, oversized spring loaded handles, rolling wheels, and a full steel grill so its totally atypical. I'm sitting right at 50lbs, but could have easily been less than 40lbs choosing different parts and wood.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There's about a dozen megathreads on the fEarful around here, and Greenboy (the design engineer) has his own whole website full of helpful folks.

That said, yeah, if you can build it yourself, it's one of the biggest bang-for-the-buck deals there is. And it is in no way just "good for the money". It's engineered to a much higher standard than most of what you'll find in commercially made cabinets. At least until you reach the top tier like Acme, Barefaced, AudioKinesis, etc.

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've built a few , a 12/6/1 , a 15/6/1 and a 15 sub . I built mine from scratch , cut all the wood and assembled the crossovers myself . Speaker Hardware has kits that make it easy and if I did it again , which I just might , that would be the way I'd go . All the wood is pre-cut and you can even get the crossovers prebuilt if you want . They have videos on the site that show you how it's done and give you a clue how long it will take . Highly recommended .

http://www.speakerhardware.com/categories.php?cat=138

Here's a pic of my 15/6 and 15 sub . They are killer cabs .

fEARfulstack006.

8. Greetings to a fellow Puyallup bass player. I work in Puyallup... live in Graham. I finished building a fEARful 15/6 about three weeks ago. Took me a month, working weekends and a few evenings. Total cost was $710 dollars, but I got a $5 rebate from one supplies vendor. I did not need to buy any tools. It was not difficult, at all. Its just building a wooden box, really. Measuring and sawing wood. Glueing, and clamping, and nailing. Turning screws. Crimping some connectors onto wires. Brushing on paint and covering. There are a lot of steps, but none of them is difficult. If you want to build one, I'll offer to help you. Since you are near-by... drop me a PM. We can plan a GTG, and you can try out your rig through my cab.

Oh, yea. And, for the rest of you, on this forum... go ahead and try pronouncing PUYALLUP

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I built my 12/6 from scratch with a $25 jigsaw, a drill and a few other smaller tools. Took me quite awhile as I just got back to it as time permitted with family/career etc.

Mine came out to 36LBS and I could probably get it lighter if I tried.

All things considered in terms of tone, portability/weight and power capability its my desert island cab.... my favourite hands down.

Here it is at my last gig which was an outside car show. No pa support... no problem!

[​IMG]

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Well, there ya go. Try this guys fEarful and see if you'd like to have one of your own. See......nice folks.

Pie--y'all--up?

Or pie--yule--up?

Or poo--ee--all--oop?

:)

11. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Washington in the house!!!!!

My 12/6 weighed in at a tad under 40lbs. My old 12/sub was closer to 30. My 15/sub is lighter than my 12/6. Amazing cabs for the money. If you build them yourself, a bargain. At this point I am working on another 15/sub since mine always ends up on PA duty. Mine aren't as nice as some since I use a spray paint as finish, but they kick butt soundwise and that's all I care about. When I build my next and final fearful I will do better cuts and a custom duratex/grill. At this point I haven't decided if it will be a 15/6 or 1212/6. The nice thing about building you own is you can take your time and buy parts when you have some extra cash. To me this is easier than coming up with one lump sum. Good luck and check out the GB site. And a big +1 to using Leland at speakerhardware.com

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nope...:p

13. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Pyu-all-up.

14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Haha, I know, but I lived in Western Washington for 17 years. :D

Cheers,
    Liam

15. fEARful gas pains...

16. About that PA duty. It sounds like you will likely need to stay out of the PA yourself if going for the big sound on stage with the new sub.

17. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I usually only use my 12/6 when we use the PA W/15/subs. My band can play at a pretty low stage volume. 1/2 the time our drummer uses e-drums and my cab is just for my personal space on stage.

18. I don't see why you would be needing another sub then. The 12/6 is your monitor.

19. The sub is part of the PA.

20. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    pyoo-AL-up I was there a week ago for four days. Went to the fair. Tried to see the local volcano but it was hidden every time I tried. Anyway, heard a really good band at the fair - a family of five brothers, whose parents came out for only two songs. Mom played a 5 string Eminance UEB that sounds awesome. She ran it through an Ampeg Pro3 and the 4x10HLF. Great band. Nice little city too. Stayed over in Fife.