Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody here deal with guitarjapan.com?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by telekaster, Nov 3, 2005.

1. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    If you guys haven't seen this site, then you need to check out the selection of Fenders they have. You will easily find a couple basses you'll be GASing for! I might take the plunge myself after I find out what's involved for ordering.

So has anybody used this site? Any tips would be appreciated!

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've considered it before, but I know that shipping is expensive.

3. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    Yeah, it is expensive to ship... I just noticed that a bass with a hard case costs $150 to ship. But even their more expensive jazzes are about $800. That plus shipping is still less than an American series j bass. This is not such a bad deal considering the cool selection they have. Plus if you're a believer that MIJ = MIA, then things look pretty good. The only downside is that the resale would probably take a big hit compared to a MIA bass.

Can anybody shed some light on US customs costs on stuff like this? I've begun to do a little research, but I should be working :rolleyes:

4. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Boy your right, they have some real cool stuff. I dig this one :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, they've got a whole crapload of models that are (at least visually, though I generally trust MIJ workmanship) waaay cooler than anything we get in the states, at least for the price.

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I just got a '62 Jazz Fretless RI from them. Very good people to deal with. Answered all my emails promptly. Another thing I like is they accept PayPal as well as bank wires. My total cost was $716 including shipping....and it is a awesome bass. As they mentioned on their site, it took about a week to get to me......and man did this sucker play great right out of the box! I'll post a full review soon, but I can say it is one of the best Fenders I have ever had my hands on!!

7. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    There were no custom or duty charges that I had to pay.

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    ClassicJazz says he didn't have to pay customs or duty charges, but, forget that for a minute, and think of shipping alone. It's upwards of a hundred bucks...not saying it's not worth it, but even without any additional charges, you're looking at a substantial amount added to the price just to get the bass to you.

I'm GASing for the natural Precision with the pup/bridge covers and black blocks.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    In his post, he said it cost $716 total, to his door. That isn't too bad, I don't think.

10. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I think that is a great deal considering the closest thing you can get to this in a MIA version is the Jaco fretless, which sells for $1300.

Here is the bass I got from them: CIJ 62 Jazz Fretless

11. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    i ordered from them and then could not get ahold of them by email for several days and started to get worried because i had wanted to ask them several questions. then i emailed ishibashi and found out i could get the same bass for about a 100 bucks cheaper. i initially went with guitarjapan because they seemed like they would be much easier to deal with than ishibashi. i still cant seem to find the links i want on ishibashis website. anyway, after emailing like crazy and 3 days later i just hheard back from guitarjapan. they cancelled my order and were very apologetic, the guy was on a business trip. but i went ahead and canceled with them and reordered for ishibashi for less money. i have to say though that guitarjapan seems very legit and they were helpful when i finally got ahold of them, refunded my money in full with no problems but ishibashi can pretty much get you anything you want and are cheaper. if anyone knows the links for ishibashi i would appreciate it. i have looked around here but the links only have a couple of basses.

12. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I know at GuitarJapan.com there is only one person who handles the english emails. He told me he does not work there everyday so sometimes it takes an extra day to respond.