Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody here into American Curbow basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prockenklang, Dec 14, 2004.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Just curious to know who is using American made Curbow basses? I have been looking to buy a couple more and am having a hard time finding any. One fellow Talk Basser turned me onto one at a store he deals with,but that is the only one I have been able to find!

2. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    I have a fretless 5 petite Ive been toying with the idea of selling next year sometime to fund a vintage P acquisition.
    [​IMG]
    Also i believe there are 2 on Ebay right now.

3. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    I have an American XT-33 5 string. Love it to death

4. I'm a big fan of Greg's work, but if you've seen me post around here, you probably know that. I'm down to just one now, a solid rosewood XT-33 5-string fretless, which is absolutely one of best fretlesses I've ever played.

Hopefully I'll see my zebrawood 6 by NAMM. I have to admit, Jim's fretless 5 is beautiful, and if/when he gets around to selling it, I may be tempted to try for a matched set...

Mike

5. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I have a Wenge/mahogany Petite 5 string. I keep toying with selling it but I love so much i dont think I can ever part with it. The tone is amazing and I used to hate it orignaly.If I had the funds Id think these would all id play exclusivly.

And Mike are his prices alot cheaper then what he list them for on his site?

6. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
  7. Yes, the prices are cheaper than the "list" he has on his website. It's definately worth asking for a quote if you have an eye to ordering a new one.

Mike

8. Despite the small bodies, all the Curbows I've owned (5, so far) have balanced just fine on a strap. The XT-33 isa bit awkward sitting down, but that's another story...

Mike

9. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks again for the curbow advise and advise prior when I got mine :bassist:

Pistolrace. How the balance on the strap for me is near perfect. I have mine sorta low slung and whatever angle I set the bass at it stays put for me.

10. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I had an XT-33 for about four years. It burned up in a stuido fire :mad: It was a great bass. Greg doesn't seem to be doing much anymore. He is probably living off of his Cort royalty checks :D

11. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    It's great to see that I am not the only one into these great basses! Most people think that the Cort Curbows are real Curbows,and their not even close.I saw the two on Ebay,but I am more interested in carved top 5-strings(unless the guy that ended-up with my old 4-string gold-top decides to sell! I sold it to Bass Palace and have kicked myself ever since).Right now I own four carved top 5-strings and an older flat top 5-string.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played one a few years back in a Guitar Center in Boston. It played itself. I was extremely impressed. I'd love to own a six string. If you dig Curbow than be sure to check out the bass player Skuli Sverrison. He uses Curbow exclusively and is an unbelievable player.

13. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Does any body have any experince with the M series? i can get a 7 stringer made cheaper then a international 4 and Im wondering if they are any good?

14. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I suspect they're cheaper because of the flat bodies made just of maple and the single pickup--the Curbow "essentials" like the Rockwood neck are still there, and I'm sure that the playability and workmanship are, as well. You might actually find the larger body to be more comfortable, though I'd still ask about a carved top as an option....

Mike

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I had the fretted version of this bass.Nice bass,but was heavy,and I grew tired of the tone. :meh: