1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody here play Accordion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by someguy0105, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Well, do you?

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    What's the difference between an accordion and a trampoline?

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    You make sure to remove your shoes before jumping on a trampoline.

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    If anybody does, I would be suprised if they admit it.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I always wanted to learn it... really...

6. That like asking if anyone like the feeling of getting their balls crushed under a car.

lowsound

7. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, All the time. Whenever I am bored I pull out my accordion and give it a playin. My hands and arms start to hurt after awhile, But It makes me feel real good When I play my accordion.

8. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've actually wanted to learn accordion. But then I should probably learn how to play piano half-way decently first, which I will do one day.

I've also wanted to learn how to play a hurdy gurdy, but for certain reasons (they're really expensive), I don't see that happening.

9. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    i actually inherited a vintage accordion from my mom since she hasn't played since primary school. it's actually pretty fun to play, and i've always liked the sound. but now i know why she stopped playing- she had gotten the 120 bass button version which can really put you off from learning if you're a beginner. other than that it's like playing a keyboard, albeit a bit harder cause of that really odd playing angle. every once in a while i'll bring it out to noodle on. i might even record something with my band with it.
    my preference is still a MIDI accordion patch on a keyboard- not such a PITA.

10. I always wanted to mic an accordion and run it through a distortion pedal.

lowsound

11. My Grandmother could play one really well. She had a few nice ones too. I tried to learn but never got very far :meh: I'd rather learn how to play bagpipes.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My wife's grandfather gave her his old accordian. She never really even took it out of its case. I've messed with it a couple times, but I have no idea what I'm doing with it.

Hmmm. Wonder what I could get for it on Ebay?? Is there a market for vintage accordians???:ninja:

13. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    +1 to bagpipes.

Apparently, my grandpa was a pretty snazzy accordian player and played at various functions.

14. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Mama's got a squeezebox - Daddy never sleeps at night. :bassist:

15. I bought a 3-row button accordion several years ago when I thought I wanted to be in a Tejano band, and/or play like the guy in Los Lobos. I spent about 20 hours on it, discovered that it's a lot harder than it looked. For example, unlike a piano-key accordion, each button plays a different note depending on whether you're pushing or pulling on the bellows. And the button placements don't seem all that logical to me -- they're not always ascending scales.

Anyway, I still own it but it just colllects dust now. I keep meaning to eBay it.
    [​IMG]

16. I play one

17. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I played one as a kid. I've told the story of the door-to-door accordian salesman. :)

I eventually traded it for my first bass. My mother wasn't too happy due to the fact that the accordian was quite expensive and the bass . . . well, it was a cheapie.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Accordians get a lot of greif, but in South Africa, especially in the Mqabanqa and zulu-pop scenes, some guys can get some awesome sounds out of them

19. That WHAT scene ??? :eek:

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    mqabanqa and zulu-pop. Two types of pop music from South Africa!