1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody here put a blend pot in your G&L?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by fourstringbliss, May 28, 2007.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm planning to replace the pickup switch in my L2500 Tribute with a blend pot. The parts are on the way - the final verdict will be when I place the knob on top of the existing switch to see if there'd be enough room for it and the volume to turn without rubbing each other.

Anybody here ever done this? How'd it turn out?

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I put a stacked volume pot on my L2500, and then used the pickup selector switch as a seperate coil switch for the neck pickup...This makes more sense to me than widening the hole of the switch- but whatever works for you! Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure there won't be enough room underneath for the pot to fit in the same position as the switch- the control cavity is already pretty cramped as is!

I really dig the extra options it opens up soundwise. I also added single coil to each switch (they are both 3-way switches now) and changed out the 250K Treble cut pot with a 500K push/pull pot which changes the series mode to "single coil with bass boost" like on the old L1000 bass (the 500K vs. 250K treble cut helps balance out the extra loading caused by adding an additional volume control...). My favorite setting is neck pickup up full on "single coil w/ bass boost" with bridge pickup at about 70% in single coil- super fat but grindy at the same time!

I haven't been playing it much recently though as I bought an old L2000E which has a faster neck (I don't need a B string anyway!). I'd do the same mod on my L2000 in a heartbeat if it wasn't a vintage piece in such good condition (I'm not that dumb!).

Good luck! If you're modding it anyway you might want to consider adding the single coil option...I'd point you to the diagram/ description of the mod, but it was on the Dudepit G&L forum and was hence erased:crying: !

Karl

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi Karl,

What pot have you put in? 500 kohms?

I think the diagrams by TBer daveplaysbass are still available from a link somwhere in TB

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, sorry- I put a stacked 500K pot. Dave prefers the idea of volume/blend over volume/volume....its up to you of course- I've just never had good luck with blend pots personally! Plus a stacked volume means you don't have to enlarge any existing holes or do any other permanent modifications....

Karl

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I prefer Vol/Blend too.
    But I don't know where to find a Vol/Blend pot with the correct ohm/resistance/impedance... That would be 500k (Vol) + 2x 500k for the blend, right?

6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    So, you replaced the volume with a volume/volume concentric pot. Were you able to use the pickup selector switch as a parallel/single-coil/series switch or did you have to order another switch? I'm very interested in having a vol/vol stack and a series/single-coil/parallel switch for each pickup.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021