1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody here running a Ric 4001 strung BEAD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 17, 2008.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I transitioned over to fivers a few years ago, and ever since then my 4001 hasn't gotten much play. I really like having that B and have come to rely on it.

One possible solution for me is to string it BEAD. I'm a flatwound player, so a set of low tension T-I Jazz Flats would be OK. I *think* I'd be OK from a neck tension standpoint.

I've considered selling/trading it for a 4003 that I know can handle BEAD, but I really like this 4001 - it was built the month I turned 18 and it's Azureglo, a fairly unusual color that I'm fond of. I'd like to at least investigate stringing it BEAD.

Does anyone here have experience with running a 4001 BEAD that can comment or offer advice?

2. Well, BEAD, on the whole, has less tension than EADG tunings, so you won't experience any truss rod issues. (Other than perhaps loosening it a bit.)

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Let's bump this up for the weekend crowd - anybody running their Ric BEAD?

4. I would be more worried about the nut than the trussrod.

if you ever do this, PLEASE POST SOUNDCLIPS, that sounds like a REALLY sick idea to me!

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Why? Nuts are easily replaceable.

6. Haven't tried this but I am running my 4003s with the E in drop D. I was using Ric strings but switched to GHS Boomers. I don't know off hand if the Boomers are higher tension than Ric strings but they seem to work well for what I am doing. No neck issues what so ever. I would think that stringing it BEAD you might need a truss rod adjustment just because it is a fairly dramatic change. But I am not tech guy lol :)

7. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I can think of a few bassists that keep their Rics tuned low (Al Cisneros, Scott Reeder etc) so I'm sure there's no particular reason not to do this.