Anybody here shoot bows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Aug 2, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I'm looking to do some deer hunting this fall with a compound bow. Does anybody have any recommendations on a good, inexpensive compound bow for someone just starting out? There's a ton for sale on Ebay, but I don't know what's decent. I've heard that Hoyt and PSE are good brands, but what models?

Also, what accessories will I absolutely have to have? I'd imagine a release and quiver would be necessary.

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I shoot recurves for recreation, and I've got a nice little range in my backyard. Right now I'm using a 33lb and a 45lb bow. I'm not very good, but its a lot of fun. Good luck on your new hobby, I think you'll really like it. The best advice I can give you is to go to your local archery pro shop (if you have one) or local hunting/fishing superstore, and see if they have an archery department. Also, best of luck hunting with those compounds; I've heard bow hunting is extremely difficult.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've heard that some people hunt game up to the size of boars with throwing knives .. Now that must be difficult! :eek:
  4. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I used to shoot target compound but the team's club closed. I was the maine state champion in cadet compound field archery in '97 but that doesn,t really count because I was the only one In my division.

I liked the PSE bows but there were some Hoyts that were really nice. Couldn't tell you what models. For deer hunting you need more than 50lbs I believe, so you don't just wound the deer.

Even more than a realease and quiver I'd say you prbably wan't some arrows. You don't kill much beating the thing with the bow. For hunting most people get quivers that clip on the bow as opposed to the kind you clip to the belt.

You can either use a realease or a finger tab or glove depending on preference.

You'll want a sight if the bow doesn't come with one. They come in all different shapes and sizes but for hunting I would guess the kind with multiple needles set to different distances instead of the one needle you adjust for different distances.

You want an arm guard for the bow holding arm or the string is going to rip it up somthing awful.

You should get a box of broad head arrows they are needed to hunt and most arrows come with target tips.

I would recommend going to a store that does archery stuff so they can get your bow set up and sized properly, make sure your arrows are fletched etc.

Have fun.