Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody here use a Guyatone Slow Volume?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Jul 31, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Is it any good for bass?

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i havent used it but i think it would work fine.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It works fine on bass

4. I bought one a couple of years ago and it was crap, unfortunately. It could be a quality control issue, so maybe try two or three. For me, I couldn't get the attack quick enough for some things, and the unit had this detuned fifth overtone happening. Very Strange.

5. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    holy thread resurrection, batman!

i've searched around but have no conclusive verdict on the pedal. i'm about to get one today or tomorrow; should i be warned off? i'm not looking for sustain- i'm looking for something to fake a kick-sidechained compressor sound for that pumpy dance-music swell.

6. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    i use a clone of the Boss Slow Gear (same idea), called the BYOC Lazy Sprocket. i use it mostly in my blender loop to add a volume swell after an envelope filter.

7. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    A lot of people say that SV-2 doesn't work well with bass, but I have no first-hand knowledge. Lazy Sprocket gets much more love.

8. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Weird, mine is first in my effects chain and works just fine. The only thing I would say is that it doesn't take a lot of the effect to get a pretty slow swell--I find higher settings to be pretty useless unless you are playing very, very slow.

9. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    copperhead- any chance of clips on bass?

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It hates active passes, which might be the issue some of you met.
    Otherwise it's a fun little unit. It's a simple job and it does it well.

11. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    That explains quite a bit. What about in the effects chain? I'm using a Zvex Woolly Mammoth which has to be the first pedal in the chain to get good results...

12. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Kicky, I'll see if I can get a clip or two up when I'm not feeling lazy. I think that the volume swell works best at the very beginning of an effects chain, but others may find they like it elsewhere. My rule of thumb though for effects tend to be volume & filter based effects first, then compression, then distortion, then mod effects like chorus or flange and finally delay effects. That formula works every time for me personally, and I have occasionally tried other arrangements.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Audere doesn't have a very high gain.
    With G&L or Vigier basses for example, the pedal will generate noise and strange things.
    The zVex is a strange beast by itself so I don't know how it will react. :)

14. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Jazz Ad- Sorry... I was actually referring to how it'd take a buffered output. If it's anything like the Mammoth, it will absolutely hate a low-impedance signal. I don't think my Nordy NP4 pickup will be higher output than a G&L MFD :p

Copperhead- Thanks! If it's anything close to what I want I'll probably get one off Guitareffectspedals.com