1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody here use Kent Armstrong Pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Kent Armstrong

I am thinking of upgrading my preamp from the stock one that came with my Schecter to either a better EMG one, the BQS or the Aguilar OBP-3. My bass currently has the EMG B64EQ Active 3B EQ preamp.. and the EMG 40HZ Pups..

I also realize that I have tuners that are not as smooth as I'd like.. so I am actually looking at pups, pre and tuners.. but I figure the pups wold be the best place to start doing the research.. I am also considering just doing the pre and the tuners and calling it a day.. Also... does anyone have an opinion on the difference between the aggie pre & the EMG BQS pre..? Or heard these two to give me some insight..? If I am reading the data sheets right the Aggie will give me more tonal flexibility and less noise...

2. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    i've tried both Aaron armstrong jazz pickups and europe made kent armstrong soapbars,also korean made kent armstrong jazz pickups. They sounds different but all sounds good. i suggest you to check musicrown.com, moon bass has europe made kent armstrong pickups installed on their basses and they have audio clips.
    http://www.musicrown.com/sound.html

3. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I'm using some Europe-made (handmade) Kent Armstrongs, and I'm quite satisfied with them (P ceramic, neodymium and ceramic soapbars), I don't know the WD (korean) stuff, though.

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Instead of saying "these" pickups, please edit your thread title and replace it with Kent Armstrong - it'll help anyone who searches the forum for info on them.

5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Point taken Thanks for the replies thus far..

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I'm always confused as to how you can tell which pickups are handmade, and where to find/order them. Any help here?

I'm assuming the ones CT uses are the handmade, no?

7. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
  8. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I'm dealing with Juraj Turza directly, he is the European maker, but thanks for the other links, Warnan!

9. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    U r welcom. Juraj told me that a studio player use his p-pup and loves so much. Is it you? i also bough a p pup to assemble my pbass.

Never tired of posting any info about K.A pickups and preamps.....Never..........

10. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    No, I'm just a hobby builder, but his ceramic ("Classic" labeled) P pickups are the best I've ever heard.

11. MeanBassMachine

MeanBassMachine

Aug 5, 2009
    My powerfull P pup (parallel/serial) is custom-hand made by Kent.
    and with my active el., have no need for something else. It can do everything
    buy it custom and handmade.

All the Bass ;)

12. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I found a used pair of Kent Armstrong's handmade pickups on eBay a few months ago. They were dual-coil humbuckers in the standard "Bartolini P2" shape and had the name "Adler" engraved on the top. The seller said they came in an Adler custom bass but developed problems and one of the pickups did not work properly. So he had listed them at a very cheap price.

I placed my bid and eventually won the auction. A few hours after the pickups arrived, I had discovered the problem and replaced the badly-soldered wiring on the outside with a fresh set of 4-conductor wires. The pickups sound excellent now. They are perhaps some of the brightest dual-coil humbuckers that I have ever tried, with the exception of "sidewinder" pickups. They have a really amazing presence in the upper midrange and lots of clarity.

Best $35 I ever spent!

13. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    i finished my project pbass, wd body and neck, kent armstrong handwound p-pup...just like other kent's pups, even in series wiring it has unbelievable clarity and high end. i use 0.1uf VQ PIO cap.
    a short camera recorded video of my newly assembled surfgreen pbass.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The "B" logo pickups on my two Benavente basses are made by Kent Armstrong. One bass is passive with a single soapbar, the other is active with a pair of J-style pickups. Both sound fantastic. I'm especially impressed with the passive bass... it has an amazingly hi-fi sound even without an onboard preamp.