Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody here used Bartolini 9J#1 pickups before?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I'm interested in replacing the pickups in my Jazz Bass with hum-cancelling J's. I'm interested in more growl and maybe something not so vintage because I have a J-Retro preampinstalled. Even with vintage pickups it won't sound truly vintage because of the preamp. I don't want too modern, but I don't want the top end of the vintage pups.

If you've used the 9J#1's, what did you think of the sound? How would they sound with a preamp? Are they a modern sound? A vintage sound? Is it a scooped sound? A middy sound?

Thanks!

Matt

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's not a scooped sound, but the highs are slightly tamed.
    They are slightly lower output, so work well with a preamp imo.
    If you look in the pickups faq, you'll see a link to a thread of mine where I recorded a bunch of different pickups in the same bass - including the barts in question

RiZzBot likes this.
  3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I havent used the 9J#1, but i do own the 9K#1. Basically its a 9J + some more brightness appearantly (acording to best bass gear). I couldn't be happier. They sound incredible with the Bart pre-amp. They work for what I want. I play in a classic rock/modern rock fusion band, and it basically calls for the tone you're asking for. They work great for me.

4. I tried the 9J#1's, as mentioned have a little less output, very good clarity, very good low end and mids but the highs are subdued as also mentioned. With an Active preamp they are awesome I am told.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I recently built a 4-string that utilized a 9J#1 in the bridge position of a P/J Alder body with Maple/Rosewood neck. The person who took posession of it has mailed me numerous accounts of his studio and live performance experiences with the bass.

Overall the bass (and J p/u) have received fabulous feedback from several top studio producers here in the area, and I had an opportunity to hear this bass live at a local gig. I was completely floored at how well it sits in the mix without overpowering anything, but never getting lost. And it was being played with the Bart NTMB in passive mode.

One comment I did receive is that the highs can be a little bright and sterile under certain conditions.

This said, I would suffice it to say that a Bart 9J#1 has plenty of highs for recording and/or live use. There definitely has been nobody complaining about a lack of high end.

YMMV of course ...

R

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've got 9J's in my fretless. Pretty much what everyone else here has said is spot on. I like 'em.

I don't have a preamp installed on the bass, and though the tone is just fine, the output is on the low side, as others have noted. I've been considering putting in a preamp, but that's on the "maybe someday" list.

While they are muted in the high end compared to some other J's (which is precisely why I installed the Barts; I wanted a less aggressive high end and more lows and mids), they are definitely clear sounding, not muddy. I can just DI this bass straight into the board and it sounds great with no fuss.

7. Are they growlier than normal J's? I really like the idea of a growly J sound with subdued highs.

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i have the 9j1's in my fender jazz fretless right now. They sound great when you just play by yourself, the tone is cool,i love all the warmth. But when you play in a band (i play in a trio) they get lost in the mix. They are too warm and don't stick out enough. I also have found the lower output to be a little bit of a problem.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I have one in the very rearwards bridge position on my fretless. Despite being closer to the bridge than on a '70s J-bass it sounds big and fat with masses of growl. I can imagine it being a little too deep and smooth in a more neckwards position.

Alex