1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody here uses a Polytone Mini Brute I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Avezzano, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Does anybody have one and uses it regularly in small club gigs with the electric bass? I do, with a lot of satisfaction: clean solid, good lows, even with the Low B at moderate level, in the pub! Some say it is not really ok with the electric, but for me it is an excellent partner. Opinions????

2. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    You need wheels with yours?
    I have an older model than that: I use it for cocktail hours when there is a gig with 2 setups. Recently used it to record a live video for cable TV with a 16 piece band. The cabinet doesn't really throw far in a room, the tone is great, the preamp ia great. Not loud enough by todays standards for a band: I sometimes need to push 300+ watts for stage level and filling the room on some clubdates

Ever see Polytones 4x10 bass amp combo?

3. yes, by today's standards it's a tiny thing. Even more if you consider that for the same size now you find 300/500 w little monsters (just look at Markbass, to say one!).

Polytone 4x10 combo? What are you talking about?

P.S.: ehm... yes: I have the wheels on mine, since I use it at home, so I can move it here or there while I am sitting on the stool... :)

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Polytone had a bass amp from the late '70s that had 4 10's and 220 watts. 2 channels, same preamp as the minibrute. About the size of a Fender Twin reverb, maby a little smaller. Used one in a rehearsal space for a band for a long time. The school wouldn't sell or trade. I lusted after that piece of equipment

speaking of equipment: thats quite a bass collection you have

5. yes, thanks! You know: after some 40 years jugglin' with basses, some tend to remain "stick" to one's hands...

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had one of the first Minibrute II combos, circa 1976. I think it was about 60 watts then and had a 12" speaker. It was a great recording amp when close miced in the studio-better than the Ampeg B15 I had then. Really got that "vintage" sound. Reliable as hell too. I used it pretty hard on the road for hotel room practice, back stage warm up and even some polite coktail jazz trio gigs when I wasn't on the road. It may still be around somewhere working.

7. 60 watts? Weren't they all 100 w from the beginning? I remember the first Roland Cube being 60 w...

8. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I used one when I played in a bluegrass band back in the early 80's. Held it's own in totally acoustic (except me :) situations and we plugged the line out into the PA at bigger shows. It was the tiniest bass rig I've ever used and it worked just fine in this application.

I think there were several Mini Brutes over the years. The one I used actually belonged to the mandolin player/band leader and was really (really) small with a single 10" speaker, I think.

Today I own a GK MB-150 that I use for gigs like that.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    My high school had an ancient Polytone combo with 1-15" and 2-8" speakers. It had 2 channels with distortion, reverb, and a phaser built in. It had a pretty mangy, ratty sound and its velvety covering and foam grille picked up the smells from the marching band uniform closet it was stored in.:help:

Sometimes when I wasn't playing tuba I'd plug in my bass guitar and use it for concert band practice. I'd crank up the effects and let 'er rip, earning me withering stares from the band director.

Tone-wise, I prefer the later, smaller 1x15, 1x12, and 1x8 Polytone combos.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've had a MiniBrute III since the 1980's and I wouldn't take it on a gig because there's a good chance it couldn't comfortably cut it. I feel the same about my Ampeg B-100R, which is much louder than my Polytone. Both for home use only in my case. Getting drowned out makes for a very looooong gig.
    :meh:

11. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    I used an OLD Mini-Brute IV as a practice amp with my electric basses for years and years (first a Peavey T-40, then a Carvin LB75 (5-string/active)) and it was one rugged little bastid. Got almost loud enough to keep up with a band, but I had to push it hard.

100 watts, 1X15", fit in a small car trunk, nearly indestructible. But I never used it for gigs. I think I eventually fried the speaker to some degree, and then gave it back to the guy who sold it to me years ago.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It could very well have been 100 watts. I thought when I bought it somebody at the store (Barney Kessle Music in L.A.) said it was 60 watts, but it could have been 60 into 8 ohms and 100 into 4 with an extension speaker.

I once played a fairly loud bar gig with it and a 1x15" extension cabinet one time when I got stuck and unable to rent and my amps were still out on the road. I pushed it to the limit and it sounded good. I was quite amazed. I liked it so much that I used it for the rest of the 2 week gig.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    That is an update of the 101. The 101 was 1x15. I loved the tone. It had two channels and no effects. I'd dial up the bass all the way on one channel and treble all the way down. Vice versa for the other channel. I'd use a y cord blend the volumes and it was sonic bliss. I played San Francisco's Golden Gate park with this. Okay, great PA with the bass in the best side fills I've ever heard. Truly rockin. But not loud enough on it's own.

14. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have an old Polytone Mini Brute which I use for practicing. On the back it says Mini/Teeny Brute, 90 watts. It has a 12"speaker with a huge magnet, I think it is an EV from memory. I suspect it may be the original model????Volume/Bass/Treble controls only and a Brite/Dark switch. It was one of my few great pawn shop finds - 30 bucks. Over the years it has been used for bass, keyboards and guitar, throwing out a surprising amount of good sound for each. Looks old and worn but everything still works perfectly. A classic.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Let me add the 101 looked like a shorter '59 Bassman. Controls on the top slightly slanted front, closed back. Bigger cab made for the much better tone.

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a teacher who used one of those--sounded really good.

17. ngonk

ngonk

Feb 14, 2011
    Hello!
    I've got a Minibrute I that I use for more than 30years!
    It sounds perfect with my double bass.
    Recently it gives noi sound when I connect it. Then I turn it off and on again and the sound comes again OK.

What could that intermittent fault be?

18. Alan MacLeod

Alan MacLeod

Apr 8, 2011
    This is a simple Jack I/O issue I think. I have had a similar problem it just needed a bit of contact cleaner. They are pretty old (like me and need a bit of tlc)

I was reunited with the amp I bought back in 1981 recently and forgot ho great it was with guitar too. I now connect it to a modern Fender Champ amp for effects and dirty stuff but it delivers the lovely warmth I want when I need it and also a fab fretless sound. I have worked for a number of the worlds biggest Musical instruments and Pro Audio companies and have still not found a better 12 inch compact amp despite the lack of reverb/dist. Lets keep this a secret. BTW add a 15 inch EV or something and it is still magnificent and much louder.

19. chetmz

chetmz

Dec 4, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I have had a Mini Brute III since 1977 (first year they came out). Great amp (even now) for very small gigs and rehearsal. Still love the sound. Very 'tight',smooth and quiet with an old Precision with flats.
    By the way, it made a great monitor for a louder gig I did back in the day. The 'direct' output went out to the PA. Quite high tech at the time.

I remember it being listed as 80W into a 15".

20. eriziasbasses

eriziasbasses Commercial User

I got Polytone Mini Brute 1 and it is a killer amp. Never gonna get rid of it. Creamy tone on both electric and acoustic bass.