1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody here using a newer Carvin LS1503 as a bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 10, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've read that Carvin changed the woofers they use in their LS1503 cabs. Does anybody here use a newer 1503 and how do you like it for a bass cab. I'm playing a 4-string.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Where did you read this ? Link ? The LS1503 is still rated at 400 watt continuous, which is what it has always been rated at, so, it sounds like they are still using the PS-15. Maybe they changed the woofer physically, but, it's still rated the same. One of the attractive things about the LS1503 was the cab itself, which can be retro fitted with the 3015LF and 18 Sound mid, without changing the crossover. Or, some guys just used the cab as is. I did'nt care for it as a bass cab, but they are great as PA cabs, and home stereo cabs !

3. Not with great results.

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I think Greenboy enjoyed playing this mod for some time before the fEARful came out. Others did too. Of course, it does'nt comapre to the fEARful, but I remember reading about some happy campers after the mods. I know it was 5 years ago, but here's a quote from Greenboy about some mods: " Hey chappies!

Thought I'd issue an update on my thoughts about the Carvin LS1503. Earlier in the thread it was obvious that Carvin had switched enclosure build procedures by using a plastic midrange cup for the internal sealed midrange chamber instead of the stouter plywood that my very early LS1503 had, which provides additional bracing rigidity. Therefore, it's possible that the incredible force of a Em 3015LF would make handles, grilles, or internal crossover rattle/vibrate enough to need those items damped down to alleviate the problem.

Or.

One could use the 3015 non-LF instead (I've been using one lately, as the 3015LF that was in it is soon to go into my fEarful™). So, here's the scoop: unless you play something tuned lower than a standard 4-string with maybe a drop-D you probably won't miss the 3015LF low extension, but you will gain a dB or more, and it seems to be very responsive to EQ above 60 Hz and can really be cranked even with a fair amount of boosted sub-100 Hz content. It sounds louder and clearer with less ear fatique than the more old-schooly mid-bass-humped vibe of the stock woofer.

Also wanted to mention that I've done some testing with midranges. No Em 6.5" driver whether sealed- or open-back, OEM or stock, seems to be able to even come close to keeping up with the 18 Sound 6ND410. Even when using TWO of the Em drivers it becomes apparent that the bandwidth is not as well represented on-axis or off-axis. Not to mention the big weight differences.

So the current $135 price in the US for the 6ND410 still feels like a bargain to me, and I can't find any other neo 6.5" drivers even at up to $200 that seem to perform as well.

The LS1503 with the 3015 and 6ND410 is a real keeper as a bass powerhouse that squeezes much SPL out of any amp, and sounds great as part of a top-notch club PA stack, which is one reason I took a gamble on buying a 3015 instead of just putting the stock woofer back in.
    fEARful&#8482; website

fEARful&#8482; forum

5. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I've been thinking a lot about this cab recently as well. I really want to get into the world of 3-way enclosures, but I need to do it on a tight budget. Obviously, at $270, this cabinet definitely scores in the affordability category.
    Like OP, I've heard about Carvin switching out some components in the interest of cost-savings, so I'd love to hear some opinions about the quality and dependability of these things. They may be inexpensive, but I'm a broke college student and I can't afford to be repairing bass gear every month.
    Any info on the sound of these boxes is welcome as well.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I auditioned them last December hooked up to a powered PA with a rock disc plugged in. Cranked them to deafening volume with drums, bass, vocals, guitars, etc... and they sounded great.
    Still it's not the amount of bass you would pump through one with a bass guitar, say 300w of power, and playing with a loud band, especially if you turn the bass knob WAY up, which I never do anyway.
    HOWEVER, IMO, if you hooked up a BX250 into one you could jam at fairly loud levels with a rock drummer who's not mic'd and guitars and vocals balanced to the drummer. You get the mids and the highs to cut through the mix and enough bass to fill in the bottom end. With a BX500 you stand a better chance at blowing the cab BUT, if you know how to EQ properly, you won't blow the cab.
    Bottom line it's a good cab for the money and will perform nicely within it's limits. You might ask them how much it would cost to load it with their TC115 woofer, which is a more powerful speaker, and see if it's reasonable.

:ninja:

7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Thanks, this is good info. I use a Genz Shuttle 6.0 (375W @ 8 ohms) and am pretty conservative with the bass knob. I will definitely look into the possibility of ordering with the beefier woofer.