Anybody here work at FedEx?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 8, 2006.

1. I was just wondering, because i ordered my Apple ibook the other day (to Duluth Minnesota), and i was tracking it from china to alaska and then to Indianapolis, but then to memphis...why did it go further south like that?
  2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I don't work for them but my dad's paycheque (yes those still exist, it's a company run by some old fart who hates tech) ended up in memphis (and got "stuck" there).

The reason (that your iBook) is there is cus it's one of their "hub" locations where stuff gets sorted for different areas. The hub system is based off of population density "balance points". someone else can probably expand on this...
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Memphis is the main hub in the whole system. It was probably actually faster and more cost efficient to route it that way, believe it or not. I used to work for FedEx, and it was hard to fathom why some things were routed the way they were, but it could just be a case of one plane being full and one to somewhere else having space available. So for example, a Portland to Seattle shipment could easily go through Memphis or Oakland, and still be there the next day, because so many planes go through Memphis and Oakland and only a few trucks or planes go direct.
  4. thanks Charlie,
    i kinda figured that memphis and indianapolis had to be some kind of distribution point, it just seemed kinda weird that memphis is further away than indianapolis...i figured that indianapolis was the "midwest" hub or something...

actually i thought it was kinda weird because if it went from Alaska to Indianapolis by either semi or ship (from ak to WA and then by semi) I would assume US 2 to be the easiest way to get from WA to indianapolis, and Duluth is right on 2! they could have dropped it off probably!
    well, i am just wondering...i am a bit excited to get my laptop, so that probably has something to do with this thread :)
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

They probably still wouldn't do it that way unless they had a ton of stuff onboard for Duluth. I think they only stop at big hubs even if it's going by truck, then they send it back, maybe even by air. When I worked there, there was no Ground Service though. It seems arcane at times, but it's actually very efficient for the most part.