1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody horde certain models?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audiomitch, Oct 11, 2010.

1. OK... Horde may be harsh.

But I notice some people who have multiple copies of the same bass. I'm not saying it's bad, I just don't understand it. I have a stupid number of basses (bordering on hording) but I tend to not repeat models. For instance, once I have a Jazz bass, I won't get another unless it's substantially different. '75 pickup spacing for example. Or I find one that fits me better, but then I'll usually sell the old one.

Is this truly a phenomenon, or am I just imagining things? :ninja:

2. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Think of it this way you can have a P with rounds, a P with flats, a PJ,and active P. All pretty much the same bass,but would sound and feel different to play. Same goes with a J and many other basses.

As the analogy with basses being tools. It's like owning only all your sockets in only 3/8 drive. Sure nothing wrong with that,but 1/4inch and 1/2 have their benefits even with sockets of the same diameter.

3. shaboda

shaboda Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2002
    i like to have backups and backups of backups of the same bass

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    In the 70s, guys would buy up pre-CBS Fenders whenever they could. Do you mean like that?

Given that small differences add up, I could see having multiples but have never had occasion to do so.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Horde may be harsh, but Alliance deserve it.

:ninja:

6. No. That's collectibles. I don't think '90s or '00s basses are going to be in short supply any time soon. As I recall with the pre CBS stuff, it was pretty obvious back in the '70s.

7. A P with rounds and another with flats - OK. A PJ is "substantially different", same with an active P.

Different tools are great. I'm the first to admit that I'm like a crazy cat lady except with basses (and I'm not a lady). But buying the same one over and over again? I don't get it. I'm probably the one missing something, which isn't too unusual.

8. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Well I use three Jazz basses regularly. An Ash/Maple, an Alder/Rosewood, and a fretless.

I kinda like Jazz basses.

9. mikerophone

mikerophone

Mar 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    never did that with basses, but for a while i kept buying slightly different Electra Phoenix guitars.

10. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Nov 22, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    I don't care for World of Warcraft, but I still gave a hearty LOL.

11. Hoard basses? what... like having 3 OLP Stingray clones and 1 MM Stingray? (and a 5-string version of it, the SUB5)

:)

12. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    In my 20`s, I hoarded slightly different women :D `71 - 75 model stacked brunettes. Does that count ?

13. I have 3 jazz basses, think thats enough!
    One 66, one 08 and on darkstared. I have the jazz think covered! Moving on to the P now!

14. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I'm on my 4th P Bass shaped bass (2 P's, 2 P/J's).

15. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    I'm starting to hoard Peaveys. Can't have too many with the SF pickups.

16. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    you cant notice the fine differences unless you know them intimately (basses) . i have 4 of the same bass, built in the same place. i can definitly tell which is the worst and best of the 4. the 2 lesser sounding basses become backups. you cant avoid it with todays manufacturing tolerances and the wood simply being different. .. johnny a.

17. Nope. Not at all. Why do you ask?

DSC00705.jpg

18. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Well you can always come up with good reasons/explanations to support whatever madness you may suffer of :)

Here's a few: different tunings, strings, pickups, woods, etc...you like to feel 'at home' when switching basses (same body contour, same neck, etc)...or maybe you need several backups (long tours, extreme conditions, etc)...different colours to match your stage outfits...weird superstitions that using a certain bass on a certain song would fire up the crowd...and so on :)

Thing is...even if 2 basses are the same brand, model, and have the exact specs, they're different. There are no 2 100% identical instruments. Sure, there will be very subtle differences that prolly onlt the owner can spot, but those are more than enough to justify the next purchase...of the same bass :)

GAS is a horrible disease, but if you're not the kind of player that needs to switch between several musical styles in a playlist or who maybe is a member in many bands ranging from jazz to heavy metal, I guess you won't be needing basses that sound totally different; in fact you will prolly slowly build your own tone and stick to it - and if that's the case, having more of the same bass is not that weird anymore...right?

19. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    I am a P bass guy. I have 5 of them, a 1973, 2008 am st, a Lakland Bob Glaub, custom Warmoth 54, and a PJ. They all have their own sound, look and feel, and I love them all.

20. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I never say "horde" I always say "collect" :)