Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody in a band with big age differences?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Mar 16, 2006.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I had an audition last night and was offered the gig. Only problem is, the rest of the guys were in their 50s. The drummer was probably mid to upper 50s. Really decent players though. I'm 36, and not a spring chicken myself, but... Am I being discriminatory?

2. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Shouldn't be a problem. I was once the leader of a band that inclueded (among others) a woman old enough to be my mother and a guy who was one of my profs back in college.

3. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm 25 and the rest of my bandmates are in their upper 40s or low fifties. We have no issues with the age difference. Plus, they have soooo many interesting gig tales to tell :)

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    See I'm the opposite, due to where I live now I'm gonna have to put in with some younger folks. Unless me and my instructor put something together. Since we are writing songs, that looks likely.(These are not beginner lessons)
    My daughter is a drummer and sings, that's another angle.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm 33, guitar 44, drummer 20, singer 33....If you ask me, depending on what your doing or trying to accomplish, you have different generations with different musical backgrounds. That's why my band sound like a cross of Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, cross with STP, Alice in Chains, Tool, and more modern type stuff like Mudvayne, and some thrash.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm 40, the other guys are under 30, a couple under 25. Not a big deal.

7. daveant

daveant

Feb 17, 2006
    It may be a little different in the jazz arena, but most of the guys in the quartet are 45 - 55 except the sub alto guy is 18. However he plays like a 40 yr ol.

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking I'll take it. I was just thinking I always wanted to be in the hip, cool band. But then, I've never been hip or cool myself! :cool:

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is a funny thread - especially when I read about the idea of young-folks being cool or hip! From this forty-five year-old's perspective, 'hip' mainly refers to wardrobe, or maybe slang street terms in speech, or something.

'Cool', on the other hand, I definatly associate with an advanced-enough age to be removed from the puppy-clumsy, over-compensated, neurotic posturing, that I see in so many twenty-somethings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The nine-piece band that I'm with has members ranging from something-like 35 (guitarist-babe) to 55 (Hammond player).

Joe

(edit) Now that I think about it, I think the guitarist is more like only thirty. Hm.. a twenty-five year age-spread. Gotta love it.

10. R U kidding? Hip and cool have nothing to do with age. It's all about your own style. If a 40 yo guy tries to look and act like he's 20, he'll come off like a dorque, but if he looks and acts a 40 yo dude with his stuff together, he's cool.

11. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    OK, Tried to make a self deprecating joke. Didn't work out. I guess a little background info would help. I started playing in my Dads polka band when I was 14, so I've always been in a band with much older people, playing to much older people. I've always wanted to play to a "younger" crowd. I've been in bands with people my age, but they were all original, and didn't play live very much. I never really frequented cover band bars. Just trying to get a feel if it's common to have a age difference.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Close your eyes and listen. How much of an age difference do you hear?

The yougest guy I play with on a regular basis is about 26, the oldest is 85. They both sound great.

13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    One of my previous bands had these ages: 20,34,46,49,55. No problems - well, at least no problems that were due to age or age-related musical preferences!

14. Lead Guitarist and I are 41, Rhythm guy is about 50, and our drummer just turned 60. Hasn't been a problem for us.

15. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    My current band:

me: 50
    drummer: 50
    Keys/guit: 51
    steel/fiddle/mandolin/banjo/sax/etc: 46 (bandleader)
    his son, guit: 21
    singer: late 30s & she looks good!

We like to say about the guit player: "He's a young man, but he plays like he's been around a long time." & it's true!

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh - that-way!

Well, I was pleased to find that when I put together a classic rock band a few years ago (which music was just called "rock" when I was young), it was the younger crowds that we got the best response from!

They don't seem to mind at all that the guys on stage are the oldest people in the room! When you look at the situation with the great rock bands and musicians that have been out there touring after their 'prime' - Stones, Clapton, Floyd, Yes, The Who (until... bummer), Aerosmith, (heck - I saw The Ohio Players, Journey and REO Speedwagon last summer!) - I think there's much respect out there for "Old Masters"!

I run house sound, and act as MC/host/announcer for a big every-Saturday, multi-band, all-ages Inde and Alternative show at a big, freaky coffee house made from an old church. Many of those kids think I'm the coolest!

~~~~~~~~~~
    ..And, hey: Polkas USED to be for old people several years ago! Around here there's a resurgence in popularity. New tunes are being written, new bands are forming, and there are like 'polka cults' around that have regular big dances and parties - and these are folks in their twenties-and-thirties!

Most of us know: it doesn't matter WHAT kind of band you're with; you whip-out a killer, properly-done (not a parody) Polka or schottische, and the crowd LIGHTS-UP! You know it. I'll not feel that I've completed my musical training until I can hold a killer Polka groove; that's a genre I have to get-to, for-sure. ..And I'm looking forward to it!

Joe

17. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ..And, hey: Polkas USED to be for old people several years ago! Around here there's a resurgence in popularity. New tunes are being written, new bands are forming, and there are like 'polka cults' around that have regular big dances and parties - and these are folks in their twenties-and-thirties!

Most of us know: it doesn't matter WHAT kind of band you're with; you whip-out a killer, properly-done (not a parody) Polka or schottische, and the crowd LIGHTS-UP! You know it. I'll not feel that I've completed my musical training until I can hold a killer Polka groove; that's a genre I have to get-to, for-sure. ..And I'm looking forward to it!

Joe[/QUOTE]

Having cut my teeth on polkas, I don't even hear rock until I was in 5th grade!, I know all about the new polka bands. Sadly, all the ones in my area are pumping midi bass off the accordian. I hate technology sometimes!

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm 39, our keyboard player is 41, our drummer is 35 and our guitarist is 26.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes. :)

Seriously, more important than common age is
    - common goals
    - common view of gig and practice frequency
    - common sense of humor

20. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    im in a originals rock band, where the youngest memeber (the drummer is 18 and the oldest (rhythm guitar) is 36