Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody in D/FW.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by refinedbass, May 24, 2005.

1. going to the Norm Stockton clinic this Friday night?? Myself and JimBass55 are planning on being there. It is in the Watauga area(North Ft Worth). It will be from 7-9 and is totally free. They said that he will be performing and discussing the groove realtionship between the drummer and bassist, plus his vids and other stuff will be on sale as well. If you need the info, just PM me and I'll send it over to ya. Hope ya'll can come out.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I want to go, but will probably have rehearsal that night for our Sunday and Monday shows at Bachman Lake(blatant plug!:D)

3. You folks need to come check this cat out. If you've never heard him, you'd be in for a real treat, plus it's free.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I would go but I got a sick dog that is needing a vet visit that day and I dont know how long it will take or if I will have to sit with him that night.

Hope you have fun in cow town though :)

5. I totally understand bro. Pets become like family. If one of my 2 dogs were sick, I would treat it like a family member needing the support and help. I hope everything is ok for your pooch. I guess I'll see ya at the GTG.

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Heck yes I'm going!
    Thanks for posting this or I would have missed it.

Mark

7. Awesome Mark, see ya tonight. :bassist:

8. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I'll be there.

I work about 10 minutes away, but will have to go home first.
    Which is 15 minutes away, 30 with 820 rush hour traffic. :spit:

9. What a small world!!! I work over on Precinct Line about 10 minutes away as well. For those of you who are going, I'll be wearing my TalkBass T-shirt, so come by and say hi. JimBass55 will be with me as well. Lookin' forward to it.

10. Just got back from the clinic and needless to say Norm was phenomenal, as expected, and probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I got some pics and even got a 35 second vid of him playing. He was a using a GK1001RB and the new Neo 212 cab with his MTD 535, smokin' setup. :bassist:

I wish I woulda had some money, I would've bought that rig. :hyper:

GAS pains are now increasing. Why does this have to happen to me??

JC-It was nice meetin' ya bro. We'll have to hook up sometime and jam.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wish I could have made it, but we wound up rehearsing tonight.

Norm is an amazing player, and a truly great guy!

GK, huh? He was endorsing EBS the last time he had a clinic here, a couple of years back.

12. I stayed up til 3:00 in the morning watching and working with DVD #3.

Norm was indeed extremely nice and pretty much a sick monster on bass. Thanks for informing me Refined, that was worth 3 months worth of lessons.

His GK/MTD rig did sound killer, but I think Norm's hands would make a rig of poop sound amazing.

13. No 'bout a doubt it. :smug: 3:00 huh?? I would've done the same thing if I didn't have somebody sleeping on my couch when I got home. Gonna try to check it out today after band practice.

He said that he actually A/B'ed his old rig(never got into details of what it was, but I knew what he had) and this new GK rig and he said that he actually got a better tone outta the GK than his EBS. I've never heard EBS so I couldn't say.

14. Many thanks to Brian (BigDaddyB) for setting this up. We all have hectic schedules, full time jobs, church duties, and full time families (Kids = at least 40hours a week). I appreciate him taking time out of his schedule to coordinate this for the rest of our benefit. I learned loads, and I wish more Talkbassers had showed.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Had a great time, if anybody has any pictures, they should post them.

It was blast playing for Norm (I was the really tall guy) I wish I had brought my bass. I got lost on the fretboard when he asked me to take that line up two octaves. THe MTD I borrowed didn't have dots on the board, and it got me lost for a minute.

16. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    It was great meeting you guys!
    I actually work right past 377 on Beach.
    May have to do lunch sometime.

As for the clinic and what others missed out on:

Here's a small clip (or as much as I can fit on my small webspace) of Norm grooving:
    Norm

and his amp settings:
    GK RB 1001

By far one of the more interactive clinics and cool clinicians I've ever seen.

How many bassists do you know who will let you jam on their MTD as part of the clinic?

Speaking of that MTD, I enjoyed seeing that there are some chips and dings in it, and this isn't just a "limelight" botique bass. That MTD feels sooo nice too. Puts my Streamer Pro M5 to much shame.

All in all a very great 3 hours though!

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I like that you captured his amp settings, very cool!
    His bass is very much a working mans bass. It's not the "bass of Doom", but it's still his tool for the job.

18. I know what ya mean bro. I was really nervous standing in front of Norm. If he would've hit me up with any style besides country, and especially in a minor, I think I would've done better. Country is defintely not my forte, but now it made me realize an area tha I had to work on. You did great by the way, as did everyone else. Here are a few pics that I took while I was there. Sorry for the size, but cool anyhow:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]