1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody in here ever play through a keyboard amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jun 26, 2007.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    41c.jpg I played through this beauty yesterday and it was pretty loud for 2x10s. I never knew a bass could go through a keyboard amp until I heard it with my own ears.....

2. I haven't, but I asked this question some time ago & was told it was not such a brainstorm. I had thought a combo intended to reproduce a broad range of sound might work well, particulary for 6+ strings, but many(who admittedly had also not tried this)seemed to think it was *wrong*. Almost seemed like one of those...

:ninja:

...religious threads...

:bag:

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Full range hi-fi amps and cabs, like for Keyboards or PA work great for Bass. Especially if you have a good sounding bass sound in the first place. Or if you do modeling. More people should try all the amps and cabs in a store, not just the ones in the bass section. :)

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1 Good keyboard cab are really over kill for bass; keyboards have a much broader range. But they sound great! :hyper:

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I guess it keeps from getting too muddy! Also, it could be a plus if you use a lot of effects I guess?

6. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I regularly play though a Roland 15" combo keyboard amp, and it sounds quite decent for stage monitoring.

7. NewGuy

NewGuy

Jun 4, 2006
    I have a Roland 12" keyboard amp I use for practicing (when I don't feel like hauling the Eden home after a gig). It sounds really good.

8. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    ive played through my friends carving keyboard combo. it really makes the bass's sound come out, whether good or bad.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I used to be a dealer for Barbettas back in the late eighties and early/mid nineties. The models they had at that time were a pretty good bang-for-buck room-distributed PA, or bass or keyboard rig, but they had their limits in excursion and useful low end.

Tony Barbetta was sometimes good and sometimes not so hot at providing service, which for a few issues was definitely needed back then. And about three years ago, one of my remaining pair of Barbettas blew the woofer side of the bi-amp plate amp. He quoted me a price, than sat on my RA'd amp for months, and tried to hold it ransom for twice what he quoted.

Well, Tony, sound at that price has come a long way since your earlier days at NAMM shows, so I told him to ship it back unfixed, took the plate amp out of the back and scavenged it for parts, filled the hole in with a chunk of 1/2" plywood and a speaker connector cup, and sold it to another bass player.

I recently took the plate amp out of its still-functional twin and put it into a Carvin 210 Kickback cab, biamped of course with the 225 watt amp feeding the two Tens, and the 75 watt going to the tweeter, and it made more bass than the original too-small 115/tweeter cab ever did (I'm thinking of making anew face baffle for a 12" driver for that box now since it's really more appropriate in size).

Anyway, the new/old 50-pound biamped 210 Cavin wedge is pretty cool and pretty darned loud. But wow, the pro power amps you can buy nowdays for similar money sure have better specs and sound... So that self-powered 210 is merely kept in my van for impromptu jams or used at gigs for drummers' floor monitor, since it can handle a fair amount of kick drum in the monitor mix.

Nothing all that different in what many "modern" bassists want and what keyboardists want in a combo though: a modicum of low end extension and power handling in a portable package, a nice fairly flat midrange and treble blend, and some SPL.

10. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    I play on a Peavey Keyboard amp at school with my jazz and pep bands... It really has a pretty good sound...

11. Right... Peaveys are pretty versatile amps. Also, in a pinch, PA cabs (smaller ones) can be very effective bass cabs. I've done this with some good results.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My iAMP is also a keyboard amp, so I guess you could argue yes :D

13. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    im pretty sure my peavey musician head is meant for keys (and everything else)

14. +1, last weekend I used my Roland KC-300 with excellent results. I tried using this amp awhile back and it didn't work out for me. I thought it was too clean for a rock setting. The amp also doesn't have a gain, only channel volume and master volume. The difference this time was I used a M-80 and BBE Boosta Grande with the amp....and what a difference it made! This amp was cranking! It was pushing out some impresive low end. The band members and musician friends were in total shock. Two of the gigs were outdoor shows, and the amp still delivered the goods. I may be using this amp more often!

15. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I have.

16. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    When you look at the low end of a keyboard frequency wise, the lowest note is 27.5 Hz. If you can do that reasonably well, then bass guitar is no problem.

17. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I don't know much about frequencies. How low is 27.5 HZ? Is that a low c?

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Low A or A0
    Look at a tuner - it'll have a reference point of A=440
    An octave is just doubling of frequency

(((440 / 2) / 2) / 2) / 2 = 27.5

19. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Yes.

When I first went from "bass combo's" to a rack(SansAmpRBI->dbx166xL->QSC2402) the ACME B2's were not received yet so.....my daughter's Behringer keyboard amp got "borrowed" from her room and the line out of the dbx got plugged into the Behringer's line in(put my bass signal into the Behringer power amp). Sounded VERY nice...the cab's a 15" woofer + 5" mid + tweeter. http://www.behringer.com/KX1200/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Would I use it at a gig?
    Only if nothing else was available. The one mentioned above gets used for keyboard in a High School jazz band.

20. chriss

chriss

Apr 27, 2007
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021