anybody just play for your own enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sturg, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Sturg

Sturg

Nov 29, 2013
    pittsburgh
    just curious if all bassists begin playing the bass with the only end goal to play in a band someday.
    OR....
    does anybody here on TB just play for fun, just in their own homes, for their own pleasure/pride/enjoyment?

2. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    In the end, it's all about me

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I do, but I was chastised for it.
    A couple of times, in a disagreement with other members, they throw it in my face that I don't know jack because I don't "play out".

4. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Haters are going to hate they can just kiss off, play your frets off and enjoy the bass don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i enjoy it, the audience doesn't.

pcake, red_rhino, Alik and 1 other person like this.
  6. LOL.

7. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    There's a lot to be said for playing because you enjoy it, but I truly think that it is socially and psychologically beneficial to a certain unspecified percentage of people to occasionally get before at least a small audience and present something to them, ok maybe it's not totally necessary but I think it adds to the enjoyment of playing and challenges you to be good enough to present something even if it's only to a friend or spouse or some drunks on the corner.

However, and in conclusion. I do believe that it is possible to have fun playing bass along with recordings or just by yourself, and the same is probably true for almost any instrument. Piano or organ or guitar or accordion or other mainstream socially acceptable polyphonic instruments have traditionally been more popular amongst solo hobbyists but nothing wrong with branching out with bass guitar in this area. Also smoking herb and or drinking vodka martinis helps with all of the above.

Thank you very much,

Bboogiexvii

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    47th Street likes this.
  8. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Yep. Started playing late and never came across any good opportunities to play with others although that was never the goal. I'm happy just diddling in the basement.

bobba66, NJSouth, ack and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Arizona
    When the happy day comes that I can afford a bass, I'll be in this category. Might not even bother buying an amp. I used to be a pretty accomplished and enthusiastic bass singer, but things got rough and I can't sing anymore. As you might suppose that's terribly frustrating, and really I just want to play fretless bass for the sake of replacing my voice as best I can. Don't need a band or fancy gear, just gonna sit in my living room, humming my favorite songs via the guitar.

10. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I do.

And I find I enjoy it way more now.

I may still jam from time to time or play at church, but no gigging.

I play guitar & bass & mandolin, because I enjoy it.

And I still want to learn new things--as in I started fretless just under 2 years ago & mandolin just under a year ago.

11. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Same here,
    I played in many bands, I did live gig before, studio work etc...
    But for the last 10 years or so, I've been playing alone only.
    I don't like to play live, it's not stragefright or anything. I just don't like it.
    THe last band I had we would play once a month together. Just for fun. It was perfect for me.
    If I can find other guys whilling to that close to me, I would join them!

For those of you who prefer to play alone, what do you play?
    Jam along with songs?
    Transcribe?
    Write music?
    Learn bach tunes?

12. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I started bass late (47 or so), but I have the great fortune to be able to jam with my two sons who write, play guitar and drums.
    We converted a guest/bonus room into a jam room and it's great. I couldn't be happier. Its cost a small fortune, but it's the best money I've ever spent.
    Their bands rehearse there and I use it almost every day.
    I usually just jam to my favorite music, but since my kids play and write in all originals bands, I get to learn and play new and interesting music.

I even got to play my one and only live show with my two sons back in December - what a thrill.

Couldn't care less what the critics on TB think.

13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I play banjo for enjoyment.

BboogieXVII likes this.
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I play in a band for my own enjoyment ...

BigBobbyBass, pcake and Alik like this.
  15. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I find it more enjoyable to build and work on them than play them anymore.
    No desire to ever play out again.

16. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I like to play in bands but also play at home for my own enjoyment.
    I don't know that the two have to be mutually exclusive.

17. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

They don't really, however if somebody just wants to play at home or play out with a band either way as long as they are playing music and it makes them happy that's really what counts.

GKon likes this.
  18. I mostly play at home for my own enjoyment, but I also love playing with my band in front of an audience. It really doesn't matter whether I get paid or not. The rush of live performance is enough payment.

rufus.K likes this.
  19. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Agreed.

20. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Me, I just play at home these days.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021