anybody just play for your own enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sturg, Dec 31, 2015.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Mostly, yes.. just noodling in my basement is therapeutic. I haven't played in a public setting in a a couple years. I wish there more folks around that just wanted to sit and jam sometimes, but I think my networking sucks.

fretter and zontar like this.
  2. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    I've always thought that jazz was my way but now I play in a post-punk band (I think it's a great experience, maybe the greatest because I play with very professional guys) and do things I'd never thought it existed so I play jazz for my own enjoyment, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy what I'm doing in the band.

DirtDog and jjmuckluckjr like this.
  3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    For the last couple years I've been only rocking my bedroom.
    I've had it with dealing with people and band issues.

But.... everything goes in cycles and I'm starting to realise I need to get out more and stop being a compplete hermit.
    So my new years resolution is to get out and jam at minimum once every other week, preferably once a week.
    I have no interest in being in a gigging band, but if that accidentally comes along, I'll try to deal.

I was going to start today, but my guitar playing buddy lives across the Mississippi river from me and that bridge is closed probably the the end of the month due to floods.

fretter and Lionel Albert like this.
  4. L Anthony

L Anthony Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm another late starter (around age 45 or so). Never thought about joining a band, and I just like to play at home. Although my wife did insist once years ago that I take some lessons (which I did) from the local music store. They helped immensely, and at the end of the year my wife insisted that I play in the store's recital. All of those preteen kids, then me, on stage. The music store went out of business shortly after that. Don't think it was my fault...:sour:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  5. vlsndgrdn

vlsndgrdn

Oct 21, 2013
    Chile
    I love to play at home, not in a band since 2005.

6. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I play entirely for my own enjoyment......although I do play with two bands and gig occasionally. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't be doing it. It's not to make money but simply for the enjoyment of making music.

7. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    Go for it, playing in a band teaches you how to play.

8. Done the band thing with friends, but the older we get, the more hectic things get, the less time we have to jam. So, to answer the question, these days I mostly just play at home for my own enjoyment.

9. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I play for the enjoyment but TBH I prefer to play to an audience, it is the adrenalin rush that gets me off. If we don't have any gigs with the band I hit the music nights and open mic nights. Playing solo (slide delta blues) scares the crap out of me but I love it.

Let's face it I am just a gig whore and at my age (nearly 65) I ought to know better. I never dreamed that when I started playing at about 15 that I would still be doing it 50 years on.

red_rhino likes this.
  10. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

I think you need to play for enjoyment, whether you gig every night or if you're only a legend in your living room. I don't gig anywhere near as often as I once did, but I still love to play, and I get anxious if I don't play for a few days. (Kind of like if you're a runner, but can't run for a while, you get a bit crazy.)

There are some things you can only learn by playing out (or playing with other people, even if it's not a gig). But even amongst those who do, they often disagree over the experience. But nobody should give you grief just cuz you don't gig.

LOL. I know my networking sucks. Barely even trying the last couple of years. But that's the space I'm in right now. Working with other people takes precious energy, and lately I've just wanted to focus on different aspects of my playing without the distraction of dealing others.

11. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I have always been mainly a home/jam hobbyist. My experiences with bands have been generally bad, and I realized long ago that I would never make it in the music business, so I'm just about music for its own sake.

12. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Not on purpose, but in essence.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    True. After 20 years of playing in bands I learned a lot. Mostly I learned I don't belong in a band because drama annoys me.

14. NJSouth

NJSouth

Oct 12, 2015
    I've only been playing for 2 months but don't really anticipate playing anywhere but home and maybe church. I'm enjoying downloading music score/tabs and playing along with songs. I'm taking lessons and just look at this as something I can play for the rest of my days home or where ever it may lead but I'm
    certainly happy just playing at home.

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I was lucky, where I used to live. The guy next door played guitar. Where I am now, my best collaboration is with a teenager who has a recorder.

NJSouth likes this.
  16. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    I've been a house cat for sometime now. Seriously, look at the audience I play for.

downloadfile-2.jpeg

fretter likes this.
  17. Sturg

Sturg

Nov 29, 2013
    pittsburgh
    NICE KITTY.
    Whoa...just noticed those skull pots. Where'd you get those??

18. I do currently, and have many times before. I also have no problem playing in a good band if one that meets my needs come along, as I have played in many gigging bands in the past.

But overall I have played bass since I was 15, for 30 years, and have only been in bands about 12 of those.

19. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Enjoy playing it because you do, when the day comes it's not enjoyable or fun for you is the day to pack it up. I like to jam by myself, usually to a backing tracking or song, keeps me going when I have no band or anyone to jam with.

red_rhino likes this.
  20. Ed P

Ed P

Aug 4, 2007
    About a year ago I was in several bands at once, but I trimmed that back to one. Didn't want the drama or spending 4 hours traveling to a gig, setting up and listening to other bands to play a 10 minute showcase set. There were lots of "all night gigs" but I just got burned out on the other gigs. I'm perfectly happy to play at home and gig occasionally in one band.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021