anybody just play for your own enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sturg, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    The best thing is to meet a band that really needs you and has some goals...

2. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    I do play for my own pleasure.
    Home - friends house - churchs. No gigs
    My new toy.

image.jpeg

ImNotJoel, zontar and NJSouth like this.
  3. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Music is something different to all of us. Enjoyment is rare enough in today's environment. If you enjoy playing music by yourself in your own way, I say carry on, enjoy, meet your own goals, and decompress from life's pressures and struggles. It's all good. Pay no attention to the naysayers.

Myself, I've been playing continuously in bands since 1962. I've juggled wives, jobs, military, raising kids and more jobs and managed to be in at least one band throughout. For me it's creative, challenging, relaxing, rewarding and something I'll be doing right up to the end.

Your mileage may vary, no matter. Music speaks to all of us differently. Embrace it on your very own personal level and take it wherever you want to go.

47th Street, zontar and irbass like this.
  4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    It's just a nice way to relax anymore. I'm 55 and work a rotating 12 hour shift. Rarely pick it up on the days I work.

zontar and NJSouth like this.
  5. Sturg

Sturg

Nov 29, 2013
    pittsburgh
    I am still basically a noob to everything bass. Only been playing a couple of years. Really enjoy it. Been working with a rhythm guitarist friend trying to start a band, and am finding out what a challenge it truly is to just get off the ground. Trying to juggle schedules, dealing with different personalities, etc. Also, it seems that some people just want to play a very narrow group of tunes/artists and NOTHING ELSE. There are SO MANY great tunes and artists from all eras and genres of music, and while I don't listen to all types of music, I am finding out that there are some good bass parts to be found in music that I wouldn't otherwise listen to.
    I enjoy practicing by myself and have been working to develop my ability to read printed bass music in the form of exercises, transcriptions, etudes, and studies. Then I sometimes will play along with recordings to improve my ear training.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I was playing along with "I Wanna Be Sedated" today, by the Ramones, and thinking what great therapy it is.

Ironically, the Ramones have a song called Psycho Therapy.

47th Street likes this.
  7. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    The 'seasoned pros' giving you a hard time on the forums 1) may not actually be, and 2) might be jealous because you have an actual job that pays enough to feed your family.
    Internet_dog.jpg

fretter and delta7fred like this.
  8. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    +1

I know one seasoned pro that posts regularly here who has always earned his living from playing. When I mentioned to him that I had passed up several chances to turn pro when I was younger in favour of a career with a guaranteed pension he said I had made the right decision.

If I stop playing tomorrow my standard of living won't change (it might even go up), if he stops he will soon be living in his car.

zontar and blowinblue like this.
  9. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    What's the best sound a banjo makes? When you step on it. -- as told by another bassist who was in a band with a banjo player

10. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Musicians Friend, they have several colors and styles.

11. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    For the past eleven and a half years I've enjoyed a lot of great gigs (and a few not so great ones). Since my mother-in-law came to live with us three plus years ago my gigging has slowly decreased to the point where last month I shut down my band. She needs my help more than I need people to hear my music. I'm OK with that. The feeling of accomplishment I used to get from having a working band does not compare to the feeling of accomplishment I get from helping my mother-in-law finish her remaining time with comfort and dignity. When she passes I'll start playing out again, but in the meantime playing at home for my own enjoyment will do just fine. :(:cool: Definitely mixed emotions on this topic.

M. M.

47th Street, Sturg and AltGrendel like this.
  12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Why yes, yes I do.

13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    lol...yeah, I've heard all the banjo jokes.
    in my world "step on it!" means crank it up to 150 BPM. That usually leaves most guitar players eating road dust.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    fretter likes this.
  14. Off-Beat

Off-Beat

Dec 8, 2014
    Vienna, AUT
    I picked up the bass to play for me. No matter the circumstances, even if I was in a multiplatinum band, I'd play for me. People say you have to play for the audience. Of course in a way you have to - especially in a cover band, but the moment I can't enjoy playing the bass for myself in my room anymore I will also stop playing for and with others and by saying that I think it's stupid to attack others, who don't play out.

People, who do this obviously lost their love for the instrument on the way or simply never had it.

Sturg and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
  16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yup its why I started in the first place. I do need to be in a band and it was my goal from the start. I don't like to play bass solo or alone. I play guitar alone.

17. On the Lone Wolf thread we had around here some time back, there were lots of people who played for personal enjoyment. I personally find playing and composing to be meditation, essentially - just involving myself and focusing on doing something positive and creative while I forget all about all the rest of the world :)

47th Street likes this.
  18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

When I first started out six years ago, all I was really thinking about was playing at home. I just wanted to have a bass and noodle with it. Then after a few months of playing along to CDs I got bored and wanted to jam with some people. That turned into a band and when we started getting some tunes down, I started wanting to gig them out. Never happened with that group, so I had some time trying with different groups until finally I got into a band that really gigged and I've had the performance bug ever since. It's not for everyone, of course, and if people just play at home for their own pleasure, more power to them. But for me, I'm in my mid-40s, and I'm aware that when I'm in my mid-60s or -70s it may be harder to deal with gigs till 1 am. So I want to do it now and see what happens, rather than get to that age and regret never getting out there. If I get sick of the gigging thing, there will be time to cut back later.

Meanwhile, yeah - welcome to musicians world. Full of flakes and egos and crackpots, especially when you're new and dependent on who you meet over craigslist or something. The good news is that, if you're patient and keep looking and keep playing, you start finding people you can work with, and start building a network, and it gets better. To an extent.

47th Street likes this.
  19. I mostly play alone, but i never refuse a jam with friends.

47th Street likes this.
  20. I play for my own enjoyment. That was the whole goal in the first place. To enjoy playing music.

Beside my basses I have a Tyros 4 Yamaha.
    Also an XS-6 Yamaha Motif.
    A Zoom MRS1608 MultiTrack recorder with built in CD burner
    Behringer 802 mixer board
    Mp3 Player
    Panasonic RXDS790 portable
    Tascam CDBT2
    Several cd players
    3 stereo systems with different home theater sound rigs on them. I play along to StingRay music tracks often.
    System that links computer to mixer board so can play bass to YouTube tracks or any other music on comp.
    Bass amps
    Vocal amp
    Mics and all sorts of cables, connectors, EQ rigs,headphones and whatnot.
    Used to have more keyboards ....but got rid of a couple.

These can all be tweaked or linked so that I can play along to anything...or write my own stuff from start to finish.

Loads of fun.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021