anybody just play for your own enjoyment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sturg, Dec 31, 2015.

1. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I initially started playing to pick up women. Now that I'm married I had to find a new reason to play.

tlc1976 and 47th Street like this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I always play for my own enjoyment, even when I get paid to do it. :thumbsup:

delta7fred likes this.
  3. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Southern California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    Yup, I agree! Ha!

To answer the OP, yes and yes. Mainly the 2nd yes.

Tried the 1st yes and discovered it's just not my thing for a living but an occasional gig would be ideal. This is a snapshot of me in the back on a postage stamp sized stage.
    _47A5775.jpg
    _47A5782.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I play for my own enjoyment in two bands and occasional jam sessions.

5. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I have always said that when I stop enjoying it then I will give it up. I'm 64 and still gigging and enjoying it as much as I ever have (well not the schlepping, but I never did enjoy that anyway).

47th Street likes this.
  6. marycoffins13

marycoffins13

Jan 9, 2016
    I've always played for my own enjoyment. I have absolutely no interest in doing gigs, mainly because I'm awkward and shy.....oh and my bass face isn't too attractive I do play with music and I write and play for my husband's music career. I refuse to allow him to use a back track or digital bass tracks.

Rumbles likes this.
  7. Pulling a thread from the vault...
    When I am not gigging (as I am at the moment), I like to drag out my bass at home and experiment with sound and tones. I find it very meditative, and as a I have had issues related to military service, it relaxes me and takes away any worries or anxiety I have.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I started playing at 15, and for my first 8 years I played out a lot. Then had a family, and since then only play at home. Either jam to songs, work on learning them better, or learn my own take on them. I also do the same with keyboard parts.
    Couldn't play out much if I wanted to, I'm on the road every other weekend with my daughter since 2003. She is 16 now, plays guitar and uke, sometimes we play together. In a couple years when I'm out from under the hammer, I'd like to practice up and maybe play out again, just a little anyway.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021