Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody know a bass like this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I'm looking for a 5-string with solid clear lows that has the vibe of a P bass with the bite of a MM. I currently have a Stingray 5, but it's not full enough for my tastes but I really love the aggressiveness to it. Anything come to mind? I have a $1500 budget to work with.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  3. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    No, the AM Deluxe P-Bass has not been discontinued.
    I tried one some time ago, and believe me it's a great bass, very pleasant to play and very responsive while sounding warm and deep.

Cheers,
    JL

6. This is going to get laughed at but unless you actually play one, you won't understand my recomendation...

A dark colored Peavey Grind 5 NTB. All the deep tone you could want and growl at every setting. The beast in it sort of follows you around no matter where you go for your sound. Besides the low cost, you'll flip when you feel the neck profile.

7. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Hey no laughing here atm a Grind 4 is my main bass... took me about 2 months to get everything just right, with a $350 buck tag, it was well worth it. I played the 5 I wasnt to impressed but it was horrible setup, besides dont trust these right out of the shop ... you get a whole new bass when you get rid of those stock strings. I think that must of been what caused the horrible B.

8. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    +1

If you can find an active one (they do exist, from the first run of them - we had one at our store) you will be in heaven. I haven't played a passive one. The active one was pretty comparable to the Cirrus IMO, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    +112.07635984563758493512346498345948098390048657

Excellent bass for the price. I love the feel, and the tone. With upgraded electronics it would be amazing.

11. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I played a Musicman Bongo today and absolutely fell in love with the tone. It's the sound I've been looking for, the only problem is, that neck pickup is too close to the neck to facilitate double thumbing and the like. How does the Lakland 55-02 and the G&L 2500 compare? I really wish the Bongo didn't have that neck pickup so close.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

Your description of the bass you are looking for is the L-2500. Total P bass vibe but with the bite of a MM. Great basses....can get a P type tone, J type tone and kinda close to an MM tone. All the while having a Growl that cuts through and never gets lost in the mix. Hottest pickups around. Great versatile preamp.
    -Bazz-

13. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I seriously did love the Bongo though. Anything out there with dual humbuckers and a 4-band EQ?

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't even think of a single bass with 4 band eq.

15. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    [​IMG]
    Conklin GT5? Yes....

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    bongo?