Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody know about HDTV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Jul 22, 2004.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I just bought an HDTV. Currently I have dish network with a powered antenna for the local stations. But my locals get a lot of ghost images. Will the HDTV Receiver have a better tuner to cancel out the ghost images? Or should I switch back to cable? HDTV service is really close rate wise between satellite and my local cable company.

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Make sure the tv is actually HDTV, and not just HDTV ready, some will require an additional reciever. Check with the manufacturer, that could cause the problem. I sold HDTV's for a while.

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    It's HDTV ready. I got the ghost images with both tv's. I'm trying to decide if I should buy the HDTV receiver from the dish company, or go back to cable. I mostly watch the local channels, so I'd hate to shell out the cash for the tv and receiver if I would still get the ghost images.

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    TRue. This is the case with my TV. I had regular digital cable then I decided that I wanted to see the puck better so I had the cable company come out and put a Hi-Def box in place of the digital box. It treated my TV like it was a wide screen and cut about 5 inches of the top and bottom of my screen. They told me it was normal and that nothing was wrong with my TV. :confused: Turns out after 9 months I still only got about 4 or 5 Hi-Def channels and mostly only watched hockey games. I canceled my Hi-Def box and took it back to them and now I just plug the basic cable right into the back of my TV. I'm not missing anything since I only watch sports, the History Channel and The Learning Channel. Between the Hi-Def box, a bunch of movie channels I didn't watch, and my broadband service, my cable bill was insane. I got it down to a mostly reasonable size now.
    that was a pretty sharp picture though. ;)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, HD broadcasts are widescreen so just like a widescreen movie they will have black bars at the top and bottom so that you can see the entire picture. It's filmed with a wider aspect ratio so if it didn't have the bars and you don't have a widescreen TV (16:9 aspect ratio) then it would either cut off the picture on the right and left sides or squish it up and look funny.

brad cook

6. HDTV stands for Home and Driveway TeleVision.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You definitely WON'T get a better result with a Dishnetwork receiver. Their receivers are budget-level quality, and won't solve any problems that others can't solve.

Have you checked out the VOOM service? I haven't personally, but I've heard lots of mention, might be worth checking out.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Well that explains a lot. I tried like hell to find the secret menu option that would let me set it up for my TV.
    I guess I'm HDTV stupid but I'm learning. Thanks.
    Ed