Anybody know about this bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Makatak, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Who knows anything about a Washburn XB800 bantam series , i love it ,my Ibanez SR1100E was stolen and this one came up cheap , i was about to but a yamaha RBX760E but the Washburn did as much and more , i cant find any reviews on it anywhere Thanks
  2. The XB 800 is great. Espically if the logo says "designed by Grover Jackson" If I remember right the 800 is basically the 400 with active pickups and actie preamp, and a pick up selector switch instead of a pan pot.

Washburns are a great basses.
  3. my frist bass was i xb100 q ,it was spose to be made just for mars like the color.its was a preety good bass.i added femder jazz 62 pickups to it and defreted it my self.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Man, that is so well stated!!! I'd like to add to it, although somewhat tangentially:

I think that a lot of people really get hung up on brands, especially when those brands are accompanied by a tremonxious price tag.

Anymore, Most of the basses out there are made on an assembly line and those assemply lines are typically made up of the same types of machinery, regardless of production country of origin. In other words, Bass company "A" that has their basses produced in the U.S., Mexico, Korea and Japan, has those basses produced with essentially very similar specs (at least) and with essentially very similar equipment. In most cases, the only difference lies in whether or not the chief honcho watching over the line went by the name "Freddy", Juan" or "Mei-Ling". Whoever the hell built the bass likely read from the same specs as his counterpart half a planet away.

As such, there are MANY basses out there that sell for under a grand but that possess materials, craftsmanship and overall quality which at least rivals manufacturers whose basses cost twice as much. Hell, I have a Korean-made bass that I got off of eBay for $350.00 that blows the friggin' DOORS off of my Warwick Fortress, all things considered! Why? Because it's well-made, it sounds great and. most important, it suits me.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm NOT saying that all basses are equal. There is only ONE Ken Smith, ONE Sadowsky, ONE Fodera - you get the picture. These are hand-made basses that feel, play and sound like hand-made basses and they stand head and shoulders above the rest and thus, are worth every penny. No argument.

But the day when ALL basses were judged primarily on their country of origin has passed. Even Lakland, Warwick and Modulus have realized the benefit of having basses built by their specs outside of their own factories. As many have found out, those korean made Laklands are some fine basses.

So, after all of my ranting, I guess what I'm trying to say is, go with what you like. If you pick up a bass whose fretboard feels nicely finished, whose materials are impressive, whose neck allows your hand to glide and whose sound is exactly what you are looking for, then THAT is the bass for you.

Apologies to everyone for the lengthy rant.