Anybody know about wireless units?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancinDave, Jul 25, 2002.

1. dancinDave

dancinDave Guest

Apr 15, 2001
    Rochester, NY. USA
    Hi Bass Brethren!
    I didn't really know where to post this topic, in Basses or Amps. Maybe I'll try both.
    Does anybody on TalkBass know about wireless units and what's the best deal for the money on these things?
    For years now, I've had a Nady 201 dual diversity wireless and it's given me good use. But I think it's time to upgrade in this dept.
    Last weekend, I was playing an outdoor gig and using my wireless. After about an hour into the show, my tone started to get a little distorted and I'm pretty sure it was the wireless unit getting hot and tired. I switched back to my Monster cord and that cleaned it right up. So, it's time to get a new wireless.
    I was looking at the Shure ULX models but was told thru' the grapevine that Shure has a little trouble with bass frequencies. They don't really go down below 50hz and I play a B string at 32hz pretty regularly. Man, I wish XWire didn't go out of business because I know that the XR905 is the one I would have wanted to get. Does anybody know any units that are comparable to the XWire digital? Price isn't that much of a problem, I want a good one and I want it to be a rackmount one too, but I don't want to spend $1,000s either. The Shure ULXP14 was on sale in the GC "Swap Meet" this week for $599. That's a perfect price! I was gunna get that until I heard about the frequencies thing plus it doesn't have the rackmount capabilities.
    So, now I'm stumped a bit. "They" say the Sampson Airlines are good but they're only $300? I don't want another cheap one.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanx in advance.
    <smiles> dD
  2. bbp

Jul 25, 2002
    sennheiser digital 1000. check it out at american musical supply. never found it at any of the gc or sam ash stores. it's digital to analog uhf. very clear signal and no interference. frequency range goes down to 20hz. the transmitter case is metal so it's not gonna break. i don't think there's a better unit on the market. the price is about the same as the shure and light years ahead of it in quality and dependability.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Shure UT system's frequency range is 20hz to 16 khz. And, it's cheaper than the ULX. I got mine for about $300 street against a $625 list on the UT. You're right on the ULX frequency range ... it only goes down to 50 hz. Bummer.

Anyway, I and a number of other folks in here use the UT system, and we all seem to like 'em. Mine works bitchen. Think about it.
  4. dancinDave

dancinDave Guest

Apr 15, 2001
    Rochester, NY. USA
    well, I gotta thank all you guys from both here in Basses and over in the Amps post too. I really appreciate all the feedback.
    I went to scouting for some systems and they have the tech info on their stuff. They say the Shure ULX systems go down to 25hz. Do yous think they're wrong? Check 'em out at The wireless systems are pretty easy to find with the search engine on the site.(sorry I don't have the direct URL) Anyways, I guess it's down to two systems unless somebody else comes up with a better one. So far, it's between a Shure ULXS14/ULXP14 or the Sennheiser 1092GTR Digital 1000. I gotta go to GC and play 'em? That place is a zoo! I think I'll still wait a few days before I go down there tho'. It's great getting all this info from fellow bass players. Thanx a zillion again.
    <smiles> dD
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Veerrrrrrry interesting. The standard ULX system does go down to 25 hz. The professional model goes down to 50 hz. So if you get the ULX, don't get the pro for bass. Here's a link. Select the model, the download the spec sheets.

Shure ULX data
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If your looking for a good price
    on Shure wireless, go to They
    have some of the best prices I've
    seen. Good company too. Nice people.
  7. I'd say go with the Shure ULX system. It will be fine with bass. It's a good system. Even a Shure UT system would work fine, but the ULX is much nicer. Buy it at Guitar Center.
  8. dancinDave

dancinDave Guest

Apr 15, 2001
    Rochester, NY. USA
    Thanx again for all the input guys. I really appreciate it!
    I would have already bought the Shure ULXS14 if I was sure I could get it in my rack. Have any of you guys using the Shure units been able to rackmount them? I really don't want to have a wireless that sits on top of my rig.
    Thanx in advance.
    <smiles> dD
  9. I'd vote for the Sennheiser also. I work in a music store, and have tried both those units, and I find the Sennheiser to be a better sound (less coloration) and, as Munji said, they're all metal, with, I think, 16 selectable frequencies.
  10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I mentioned this in another post some time ago but just in case:

Whatever wireless you get, BUY UHF. All the VHF band frequencies have been bought up in anticipation of the High Definition Television broadcasting that is going to start proliferating the airwaves in the next few years. Anything VHF will be basically unusable (unless you want the Local News through your amp).
  11. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    whats a pretty cheap wireless unit that comes with 2 wireless cord there one?