1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody know anyone who plays both cello and bass?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by bebebass, Oct 30, 2010.

1. bebebass

bebebass

Jan 10, 2007
    Hey again,

I am trying to find any names who had a career as both cellist and bassist anywhere in the history. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Jonn0

Jonn0

May 29, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The bassist from FILTER did some Cello and bass. Im not sure of his name, but he laid down some solid cello riffs like on song Welcome to the Fold

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Roy Wood

Jack Bruce

4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Jack Bruce played cello? Any recorded examples you could point me to?

I play cello and bass, though I won't comment on how solidly or professionally.

------------------

EDIT: I just noticed that this thread is on the doublebass side of the forums -- I took the question as referring to cello and bass guitar.

I started out as a doublebass player, and even studied for a couple of years (as a bass performance major) in college. I switched to cello about 13 years ago. I can still get around a doublebass better than most cellists, I'd wager, but not with the native ease and familiarity that I could when it was my primary instrument. This is natural, I suppose, since I practice it much less. When I was making the switch, though, aside from the issues presented by the different tunings/scale lengths/positions, I found that practicing a lot of cello interfered with my "touch" at the bass and vice-versa -- this was a long time ago, though, and the process was complicated by an injury. I never assume something's impossible just because I haven't done it, but I have a hard time seeing anyone be really great at both instruments -- at least in terms of classical technique/a classical performing career. That doesn't mean someone hasn't done it or that it can't be done (Pinchas Zukerman makes a career playing both violin and viola). It certainly doesn't mean someone couldn't lay down some solid grooves on both, as well.

Maybe elaborate on your question -- are you thinking within any specific genre? Are you pondering a career doing both?

5. bebebass

bebebass

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Maybe I should narrow it down as "playing cello and bass professionally in classical tradition"

6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nice! Cello soloist with the NY Phil, a jazz bass career, and then positions in the Boston Symphony and as principal bass under Neville Mariner satisfies my criteria for "successful careers on both instruments within the classical music field."

Here's what looks to be a very interesting interview with Buell:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=910

It appears the careers (on cello and bass) were more sequential than concurrent (haven't finished reading the article yet, though). Still, impressive -- and Luigi Silva's recommendation that cellists take some bass is interesting (and new to me)!

Thanks for posting this! I love being introduced to new (to me) musicians like this.

----------

EDIT: Okay, read the whole interview. Fascinating. Will be checking out some recordings:

http://www.k2b2.com/buellfeatured.html

7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Jack Bruce certainly did when he was younger.
    Ron Carter and Mingus also.
    But I believe you said in the classical tradition, so although it is debatable, those are not valid.

8. Dave Holland

9. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    I had studied cello as a minor instrumentas an undergrad. reminds me of a funny story, local symphony had a pops concert with Blood, Sweat and Tears and were short cellos so I volunteered. I held my own ok until we hit tenor clef and fast notes and boy did I get left behind. I snuck out of backstage at the end...

10. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    It's cool to look for examples of that duality, but any reason in particular you ask?

11. toddhomer

toddhomer

Jun 14, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Why dont more of you guys disscuss tunnings?.. I am not a "pro", dont make a living from music.. But I cant stand main steam music anyway. I have played since 7th grade, I came up through school on cello because the Basses were always rented out. I got a fender at 16 to start my rock period (25 years) and had to adjust to tunning in 4ths. Now I'm back on DB full time and use that cello tunning like Red Mitchel did ( C G D B ) Bigger sound but more hand shifting. (or sometimes I go with ( D A D A ) That's 5th 4th 5th. I do have one DB in old regular 4ths I admit.

12. If we're not talking concurrently I think I recall reading somewhere that Rinat Ibragimov played cello until he was like 14-16 and was good. damn good. If I recall he made the switch by choice and fealt that the double bass had many more sonic possibilities.

13. Heirphoto

Heirphoto

Dec 17, 2010
    Baltimore
    Yo Yo Ma

"At a very young age, Ma began studying violin, and later viola, before finding his true calling by taking up the cello in 1960 at age four. According to Ma, his first choice was the double bass due to its large size, but he compromised and took up cello instead

Wow, four

Tony

14. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I knew a fairly noteworthy cellist in NY so told me she had taken up bass for awhile, but abandoned it as it was wrecking her cello playing!

15. Edvin

Edvin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweden
    Oscar Pettiford, Lars Danielsson, Svanthe Henrysson to name a few!

16. Percy Heath.