Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody know anything about CF Martin basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I think Martin guitars sound great (I own one), but I recently played one of their $1600 basses and I wasn't impressed with volume or quality of sound. But I only played the one...

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That bass is a Martin EB-18, made around 1980-1983. They also made a two pickup version with a PJ setup called an EB-28; there were matching guitar versions of both.

Pickups are DiMarzios, wiring is passive. I'm pretty sure the Badass bridge was stock (been a while since I've seen one). They are well made, play great, sound great and are worth almost nothing these days (check the current high bid!) so can be a great buy if you're looking for a cheap neck-through.

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    woops, I guess I should have looked at the link before posting :oops:

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I only ever heard one of these in person... it was equipped with the white version of that DiMarzio pickup... but the bassist using it was a "Rush-head"... and let me tell you... that bass sounded dead-on when his band proceeded to perform a cover of YYZ! :D

As far as I know, the BadAss bridge is original as are the machine heads. But, if I remember correctly, the original control knobs should be knurled metal dome tops.

5. Thanks!

I did a better google search and turned up the model last night- thanks for the info on the pups, wiring, etc. Couldn't find any details like that.

A bit ugly, but what the hey- might be a nice player.

Bob

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That bass does not appear to be neck-through, it looks like a set neck to me.

7. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    i played one about 10 years ago - it was SWEET. Set-neck, if i recall correctly. From looking at it, i thought it would sound all "woody" like a Gibson, but actually its was more SOLID like an old Musicman

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The neck is set - something Martin knew how to do. It was designed to appear like a neck through with the walnut/rosewood strips (both were used). The bridge is a chrome plated brass badass. The 18's were made from '79 - '83 and were passive with single dimarzio HB (model One on early ones and model G on later ones).

The 28's were Dimarzio PJ's. Active with a Haz labs preamp. Made from '81-'83.

Martin also made 6 string electric guitar versions.

These were the only solidbody electric's Martin ever made and the first with truss rods to my knowledge. About 4500 production units total. Made in Nazareth, Pa.

Don't know many instruments well, but these Martins I know.

9. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Martin is very touch and go lately. I've played 1500 dollar Martin guitars that blew me away. I've played 7K martin guitars that I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for. I wouldn't E-bay something like this.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Never been into Martin acoustics, but it's my undestanding Martin has never been known for their consistency soundwise. But over the many years, they have consitently put out some gems. You just have to find the gem before someone else does. Their craftsmanship on the other hand is consistently pretty top notch.

Their solidbody's are very consistent in my experience both in terms of sound and craftsmanship.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You DO see that neck crack....right? Second to the last pic?

12. What crack? You mean that dark area all around the headstock joint?
    "If repaired..." the entire friggin' headstock has been knocked clean off. The crack goes all the way around to the front. 1800 things the guy sells and doesn't know that's a serious headstock repair. OK.