Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody know anything about "spiking" a cabinet as in spike feet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lovepump69, Apr 3, 2005.

1. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know most venues actually prefer that you use the spikes on their hardwood stage floors.

3. They work best when used on an isolation riser. :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    :p

mmhmm...........sure, and they want you to stomp your ciggarettes out on them too.........

the idea behind using spikes is to reduce coupling with the floor. usually you see these things used on audiophile stereo speakers, or on the speaker stands (for bookshelf type speakers). i have a set of stands for my B&W bookshelf speakers with these spikes and it makes a difference. for pro audio i wouldnt worry about it. any sonic advantage you gain is going to be negated the 1st time one of those enters your foot. :eyebrow: :eek:

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    At least you would have a great gig story...

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The idea behind spikes is to more firmly couple the loudspeaker cabinet to the floor or shelf or other supporting surface to reduce energy wasted by the cabinet's moving in opposition to the speaker cone. The mass, though, of a typical cabinet is some hundreds of times greater than the moving mass of the speaker cone and voice coil assembly, so I really don't think they're helpful unless you have a really lightweight cab with large, exceptionally heavy duty speaker drivers.