Anybody know anything about these?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Les Izzmor, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Les Izzmor

Les Izzmor

Apr 2, 2005
    Tascam Bass Trainer

I got a CD from a band I'm going to audition for. They're all over the place. In so many instances the bass follows the guitar and they do these real fast multiple chord changes. And. All their songs have all kinds of different parts and extra bits thrown in. (believe it or not it works)

It's been a pain in the ass attempting to figure out the songs.

So. I was looking for something to record parts of the song and slow it down and I stumbled upon the Tascam.

Here's my biggest question. It says it plays "any standard CD". Does that mean any CD you can play in a CD player. Or. Will it not play CD's that I burn on my PC?

And. Does anybody know of anything else I could use?

2. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    It's tascam, so it should be of decent quality.

It'll play an standered cd - meaning non .mp3 data cd.

And their is a sibane unit for a bit cheaper. I've owned one and didnt like the build quality of the device; so I returned it before even giving it a chance.
  3. Les Izzmor

Les Izzmor

Apr 2, 2005
  4. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have one. It will play burnt CDs (I haven't tried with mp3 CD). It does a pretty decent job. Some highlights:
    - your are able to loop sections of the song you choose -- great for figuring out tough parts
    - you can add a couple of effects -- nice for not having to hook up pedals, etc.
    - has a mode to cut out bass or enhance it on the track -- does this pretty well (after I figure out a song, I like to cut out the bass on the track and throw in some fills to see how it sounds)
    - you can change pitch w/out effecting time -- but this can get a bit hairy
    - has a headphones jack

Pretty cool little device, but I have nothing to compare it to.
  5. Les Izzmor

Les Izzmor

Apr 2, 2005
    This is the one thing I really like about it.

Thanks. :)
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Holy Moly! I need one of those BAD!

I think I've finally discovered the final piece to the puzzle in my plan to rule the bass playing wurrrrrrrrrrrr-ald!! Oh yeah.

Thanks, Man -

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have one also- great little device for all the reasons stated above.

8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's great, use them all the time until I have to sell for financial reasons.

...that, and I keep moving these threads to misc.
  9. IMHO an even better option is "Transcribe" software. It not only slows the song down, you can tweak pitch or change pitch to a different key, you can isolate the bass line, you can loop sections, it even calculates the song tempo for you.

Download the 30 day demo for free--I did--and now I'm ready to buy the license key. Since I'm a really cheap SOB, that should show how good the software really is!!

Sorry I don't have the URL handy (I think its sevenstrings or something like that) Google it.
  10. The Tascam can do all that except calculate the song tempo.

11. ...but the Transcribe software is only $43.

Did I mention it also opens any mp3 or wav file? And when you isolate the bass track, you can move it an octave up...the bass line actually stands out quite well then...Oh you can sample a section of song and the software will show you what frequencies andnotes they are....and also give you a place to write your comments down. And a couple of other features too.

I don't work for Transcribe (and don't have any affiliation with them) but I gotta tell ya, for $43, this is one heckuva good tool. I've tried an Awai sampler years ago, and this is light-years ahead of any sampler I've seen, for a fraction of the cost.

The URL was by the way. Before plunking down $150 for the Tascam--and I really do like Tascam stuff, by the way--at least give the Transcribe a try.
  12. rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    Keep an eye open on eBay ... I picked up a slightly used Tascam for about $100. I use it alot. "- has a mode to cut out bass or enhance it on the track " I personally didn't find this very useful. It did not seem to enhance the bass all that much. I even use mine for learning sax leads by using the tempo change feature.