1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody know of a good cheap case for a rickenbacker 4001 for flights??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickybocker, Oct 14, 2009.

1. rickybocker

rickybocker

Dec 14, 2008
    My band is doing some out of town shows and getting flown out from chicago to new york and back.... and we only get to bring our guitars... I have a 1979 Rick 4001 and the case is very vintage... so bad the hinges are rusted and brittle... so they will not make it thru the luggage check... which leaves a big chance for the rick being dropped out of the case in transit... I have seen some other cases fit ricks before like an old epiphone case ... but I have no idea what to get now that's not way to expensive wanna stay in the $150 range...

Basically as long as it doesnt have alot of play where the bass wont shift around too much and is strong enough to go thru the airport a couple of times. (we are supposed to get to play hellfest in france in june too)

Any suggestions or 1st hand experience would be greatly appreciated my fellow bass clefs....

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    It's more $ than you're looking at, but the build quality is enough to last a lifetime ...

I just got a case from these guys based on recommendations on TB.

It's a tank.

Custom-made Ric cases are $220 - $260 depending on how solid you want them.

3. Rondo has flight cases.

4. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    dude...just throw it in the overhead. i promise you, as long as you don't pile things on top of it, it'll be fine. probably better off than in the cargo. but peace of mind...not so much.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 don't check it with your baggage, carry it on. Better in a gig bag with you, then a flightcase without you. I've heard horror stories.

6. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    play it while you fly..duh!

get an isle seat

7. jpfbass

jpfbass

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Just put masking tape around the thing. Seriously, tons of people do this (I always see case like this when I'm picking up my luggage), it works!!!

8. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    In a perfect world we would all carry our bass on, the problem is they may not let you.

Buy a good flight case.

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The trouble with treating a bass as a carry-on is that you're sharing that overhead bin with eight other people, who are all going to want to use at least their fair share of the space.

10. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    put the guitarist into the storage and give the ric a seat

11. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    We have a winner!:D

But seriously, if you want to fly with the Rick, I'd also recommend the high quality flight cases. If the bass is your prize, protect it. 300 up front for a real, high quality, flight case or 1400-2000 for a new Rick, you choose....