Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANYBODY KNOW SQUAT ABOUT BART MM4 QUADS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luknfur, Apr 11, 2005.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I want to know if anybody knows for a fact if all 4 coils on this pup can be split? To clarify - this a Bartolini Music Man replacement Qaud coil pup - was used in the Mod Sonic Hammer (Flea predecessor) and Tobias Growler among others.

Here's what I know about it.

Kind of a wierd setup - has 4 posts in each corner grounded to the copper backing plate - in Barts kind of semi-permanent way like they do sometimes. Therefore all 4 posts are tied together. It came with a pair of jacketed leads, each with a hot wire and shield, the shields tied.

I ran one hot lead to one jack and the other hot lead to the other jack direct stereo out. The tied shields I ran to ground. The result was north and south coil pairs were split - like a pair of DM model J's placed side by side I guess. Since all 4 posts are tied together, I didn't expect north and south coils to be split.

So I'm guessing all 4 coils could be split but I don't want to jack with the pup to find out cause it's not your typical Bart do it yourself layout - which would have been a pair of posts in each corner. I'm not going to torch the bassplate to find out cause I'm not going to split all 4 coils anyway plus the fact it's not making sense to me as it's working now - but I'd like to know. Can't post a pic cause it's in the bass.

I'll call Bart if necessary but thought someone might know.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    don't know, never seen their mm4 quad coil before