1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody know what model Spector this is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlt5x, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Looking at a bass, but the owner doesn't know what model it is. Anybody recognize it? he said he bought it new from sam ash a few years ago....

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    that's a Performer.

Flat Body NS-2000 Body Shape™
    Alder Body
    Matte Finish
    Passive EMG® Pickups
    Passive EQ
    One-Piece Neck
    Chrome Hardware
    2002-2004

3. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Awesome! Love this place!

THanks!

4. Can you post a picture of the back of the headstock?

No, I'm not doubting worshiprocker, but I'm curious how the bass is labeled. I had a 2002 Spector Q4 Pro. Those basses were made in Korea and have the Spector bridge in aluminum and an active pre-amp. The body is flat topped/backed and made from Basswood with a figured wood top. The pups are the EMG HZs. These are simular to the Performers of the era.

5. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    I don't have it - but I will ask about it. Sounds like 'is it active' might be the best question for them.....
    thanks

6. worshiprocker

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    yup same body as the performers... I'm saying performer because the Q4s had a quilted top.

I would also ask for a pic of the control cavity... if there is a battery then Paul is right. :)

7. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Yep - it is passive. Performer it is.

Any thoughts on these? I would rather have active - but if I can get it cheap enough I might take a leap.....

thanks!

8. worshiprocker

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    they actually sound great, the mids are nice and pronounced. I had a Performer DLX. I upgraded to EMG-HZs and a tonepump and it sounded even better. i would say if its under $250 its a good deal. Even passive they just sound "right" IMHO :hyper:

9. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Thanks for all the input, Worshiprocker!

peace

10. Agreed, don't let passive pickups and EQ make you shy away unless you've heard the active sound and that is what you're after.

BTW, the bass in the picture doesn't have the Spector bridge. It appears to be a Badass or something close.

11. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    It's the right bridge for a Performer.....

12. evanatch

evanatch

Jun 19, 2011
    It's a stock bridge, the same one that's on my Performer DLX 5 (well the 4-string version obviously). These Performers blow away all the other basses I tried in the price range, at least for my preferences.

Oops, it looks like loend beat me to it!

13. Yes, I just wanted to be clear since I mentioned the Q4 Pro, which does have the Spector style bridge. Either way, you cannot go wrong with a Spector bass.

14. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Indeed. My next instrument purchase will be a 2012 4 string Performer series... my NS-95 needs a sibling. :D